We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Solitude

Dallas
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Solitude

Some quick questions for 5 first timers:

1. Where can we get groceries for the condo?

2. Cheapest and easiest way from the airport without renting a car?

3. Can we ski Solitude, Brighton, and Snowbird in a 4 day trip?

4. If we stay at Powderhorn or Eagle Springs, are the slopes really close?

Thanks in advance.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
405 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Solitude

Answers:

1. This depends on how you get to Solitude. If you take public transportation then there are grocery stores on the bus line on Fort Union Blvd. You'll pass a few of them on the way up to the slopes. I don't know if you want to be carrying groceries and luggage on your way up. If you do then get off at the Dan's on 20th East (2029 East 7000 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84121:Phone: 801-943-7601). Otherwise the Village Store in Solitude will have some limited supplies.

2. The cheapest way from the airport to Solitude w/out renting a car is by public transportation. You take the #550 bus from the airport to SL Central Station. Board TRAX light rail that says "Sandy." Get off at the 7200 South stop. Board #963 bus headed to Solitude. Tadaa! ( www.rideuta.com)

3. Yes, it is possible. Look to purchase combined lift tixs.

4. Yes.

Good luck!

chicago, il
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Solitude

Hi!

We stayed at the Powderhorn condos in Solitude last January and loved it. We ordered our groceries from www.albertsons.com prior to coming. They are used to delivering to the ski resorts. We ordered them for the day of arrival, and they were all delivered to our condo before we checked in. Just call Solitude ahead of time to let them know.

We rented a car, so I can't help you with the transportation. It is very easy to get between Brighton and Solitude. In fact if you are good skiiers, you can ski between the two. With regards to Snowbird, I believe you can take a UTA bus down the canyon, and then catch another bus to go to Snowbird.

All the condos in Solitude are close to the lifts. You can either walk to them or ski to them (you can ski to them if you are good skiing on "flat" surfaces...some folks are, some aren't). I would say it is about 200-400 yards to the lift (like a city block or two.)

One piece of advice is to eat at least one night at the Silverfork Lodge down the street from Solitude. It is not fancy, just good, decent food in a more rustic setting than the Solitude restaurants. It is only about 1/2 mile down the road, and if you call them they will pick you up and take you back to the resort.

Have a great trip.

-kelly

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Solitude

FYI Albertson's was bought out in Utah and no longer operates in the SL area. I'm not sure if Smith's or Harmons might provide the same service.

Dallas
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Solitude

Thanks for everyone's help.

If we rent a car, do we have to have a 4WD? I'm getting mixed info. We only really need to get groceries and get to and from the airport. The shuttle is $35 each way and they charge $36 per 15 minutes to wait on us at the grocery store. Works out to about $100 for a shuttle. 4 guys could rent something for cheaper, but 4WD SUV's are very expensive.

Thanks again!

utah
Level Contributor
290 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Solitude

We were up at Solitude today in a Subaru that is 4 wheel drive, but definitely would not have needed an SUV. I suggest you get to the resort check everything in and then grab the bus back down the Canyon for groceries later, then just pay one taxi to take you from the grocery store back to the resort, that way you won't have to pay for wait time and Utah's busses are so easy and clean (especially the Canyons busses).

However, all this shuttling back and forth it may just be more worth it to get a smaller rental car, even a standard car would be fine, and then grab some snow tires from rental company if there are storms predicted, if no storms come in you'll be fine, people were driving all sorts of Toyotas etc. up the Canyon today.

By the way - skiing at Solitude was awesome today, never waited more than two minutes in line and had plenty of Utah's finest soft white powder to keep the day amazing.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Solitude

We just got back today from our 6th trip to Solitude.... Another great visit.

To answer your questions:

1) There is no longer any delivery of groceries. So you need to buy what you can. There is a Smiths not far from the mouth of the Canyon.

2) How to get there and groceries without renting a car. We have tried ALL the transport options (car, shuttle, ski bus etc). I think it's absolutely unfeasible to take a bus down the canyon to get groceries (the store isn't near enough to the bus stop unless you take a ski bus way further down) or to bring groceries up on the ski bus - you'll have all your other stuff. So to our mind, the options are narrower than they were when Albertsons delivered. This year we used the Wasatch Crest Shuttle service:

http://www.wcshuttle.com/

They were fantastic - very good communication, stopped at a grocery, very good price. I'd recommend that.

(We don't like the car hiring - we go with another family so we need two cars and it works out wildly expensive to do it that way.)

3) Solitude, Brighton and Snowbird in one four day trip - if you don't have a car, it will be a lot of riding the bus up and down the canyons to get to Snowbird. Brighton is very easy. Four only four days skiing, I think you'll find plenty to do between Brighton and Solitude and reduce your hassle very much.

4) We've stayed in Powderhorn and Eagle Ride - they are only 50 yards apart so it makes no difference in terms of the slopes. They are very close to the nearest lift - 100 or 150 yards. You can ski back in to within about 50 yards!

7. Re: First time in Solitude

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Solitude