We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shuttle to snowbird?

georgia
6 posts
Save Topic
shuttle to snowbird?

Hi,

My family is planning a trip to Utah April 6-10. My 11yr. old son wants to go snowmobiling, but we wanted to stay in Solitude due to the fact that we have never skied before and thought Solitude was better for beginners. Is there an inexpensive way to get from Solitude to Snowbird for the day to snowmobile? Any thoughts would be appreciated since this is our very first ski trip.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shuttle to snowbird?

Hi hopingtoski:

First let me say that my family just took our first ski vacation to Solitude--we loved it!!I have 12 year old boys and they took the all day lessons the first day on the slopes and I can't say enough good things about them. (My husband and I also took a lesson the first day-really loved our instructor as well).

We did not go to any of the other resorts for activities (and we rented a car) so I don't have first hand experience for you w/regards to shuttles. But, I did see the UTA buses going up/down the canyon. I believe that you can take the UTA bus down the canyon to the Park and Ride lot, change buses and take another bus up to Snowbird. The website for the uta system is www.rideuta.com . Try clicking on "schedules and maps" (on the left), then "maps" and then look at the maps for the ski areas. Again, we did not do this, so you might want to call the UTA or either Solitude/Snowbird to double check the info.

One thing I should mention (and you may already know this), is that even though Solitude and Snowbird are close together on the map-you are talking about driving down one canyon then back up another to get from Solitude to Snowbird-probably about 45 minutes (not including transfering buses, etc).

Lastly, we had "other things" planned for my boys, too, as this was our first ski vacation and we weren't sure how they would like it. Once they got a taste of skiing however, nothing else compared, so you might not even need to go snowmobling. There are other things to do at Solitude-snowshoing, XC skiing, relaxing at Club Solitude as well. One other thing might be to take a day off and go night skiing next door at Brighton.

One other hint--are you also a beginner? If so, you can save some $$ by buying the beginner lift tickets (for adults) at least a few of the days. Moonbeam Express is one of their beginner lifts and it offers plenty of runs for a beginning skiier.

Have a great time,

kelly1119

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shuttle to snowbird?

That time of year the resorts often don't have a lot of good snow left except right after a storm. It's icy in the morning until 10:30 and very slushy after 2 on the beginner runs. It all depends on the weather. Alta and Snowbird both get more snow, are better groomed, and the areas are larger. Brighton and Solitude get "skied out" much sooner because of their size. Alta is great for beginners as well as advanced skiers. It is right next door to Snowbird. There is an option for getting a ticket for both on the same day but it's also very convenient.

georgia
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: shuttle to snowbird?

Thanks so much everyone for your help!! Do you think the ski school and beginner area at Alta would be as good as Solitude?

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shuttle to snowbird?

The schools are all about the same. You just never know who the teacher is going to be and that makes all the difference.

georgia
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: shuttle to snowbird?

Shaphirebluez, I checked on the prices to stay at Alta, and they are much much more than Solitude (even allowing for the fact that they include food). Some people didn't think the lodging was as nice as it is at Solitude. Do you think that I would regret staying at Solitude in April?

hawaii
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: shuttle to snowbird?

See www.vititransportation.com

Rates are $110 one way for up to 4 people.

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shuttle to snowbird?

Solitude lodge is newer so probably nicer...by cleanliness standards. You'll be totally happy there. If you found a good price much cheaper...DO IT for sure!

8. Re: shuttle to snowbird?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Solitude