We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun to Xcalak no car

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun to Xcalak no car

I’m planning a trip to Xcalak and DO NOT want to rent a car. I like the idea of bus to limones then taxi I found in an old thread, but I would love to hear from some who has done it lately. Has schedule changed? Price for taxi? Any easier way? Also, since I want to stay IN Xcalak without a car, where can I eat/get drinks without cooking/bartending for myself? All the old threads mention the leaky palapa, but I understand it’s closed. Will dive shops pick me up, either by boat, or by car? If not, will I need a bicycle? Any input appreciated. (Please include your favorite thing, even if I didn’t ask about it.

8 replies to this topic
Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun to Xcalak no car

I don't know where you're starting from, but ADO runs buses to Mahahual from Chetumal, and from northern locations (Cancun, Playa, Tulum). You can continue by taxi from Mahahual.

Colectivos run every couple of hours between Chetumal and Mahahual. I don't know of any that run from Limones to Mahahual.

Edited: 05 July 2018, 17:55
Mentioned in this post
Mahahual
Mahahual
Costa Maya, Mexico
Chetumal
Chetumal
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun to Xcalak no car

There are a couple of grocery stores at Mahahual.

Mentioned in this post
Mahahual
Mahahual
Costa Maya, Mexico
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
249 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun to Xcalak no car

Costa de Cocos has a restaurant and a bar.

I think XTC dive shop can pick you up, but check with the shop you want to use to see about picking up.

A bicycle is useful there.

Mentioned in this post
Costa de Cocos
Costa de Cocos
133 Reviews
Xcalak, Mexico
Ashland, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
96 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun to Xcalak no car

Bus to mahahual and then taxi to Xcalak is probably your best bet. There is a bus that runs to Xcalak but I'm not sure where it comes from? If your there to dive XTC does have a small hotel now as well as a resteraunt. If your ambitious you could also walk into town and eat at Toby's or Silvias from XTC. The Leaky Palapa is still operating, but they close for the summer months.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun to Xcalak no car

So Toby’s and Sylvia’s are in town? I am an ambitious walker, but can I have details about the track? Does it feel dangerous? Is it only for the daytime? And how long does it take to reasonably walk at a brisk pace? These are questions that cannot be answered by the number of miles :-)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun to Xcalak no car

Also, which months does the leaky Palapa consider summer months?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun to Xcalak no car

I like the idea of a bicycle. Will I be able to find one? And is the road from the outline hotels into town good for a bike, or really challenging? I recognize that to a hard-core cyclist the two might not be mutually exclusive… I am not that biker.

Ashland, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
96 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun to Xcalak no car

The Leaky Palapa is closed from may to November I think. From XTC, Toby's and Silvias would probably be a 15 minute walk. Both are just off the main road through town and easy to find. I've never felt town was dangerous at all, and you'd be walking on the main road. I don't think their open late enough to be worried about walking home late at night.

Edited: 12 July 2018, 21:49
Reply to: Cancun to Xcalak no car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Xcalak
More Xcalak Topics