We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Mahahual

Minnesota
Level Contributor
306 posts
50 reviews
Getting to Mahahual

I am flying into Cancun and renting a car. I am going to drive to Tulum and spend the night so I don't end up driving at night. I will get up the following morning and drive to Mahahual. I am spending three days there and I will stop in Playa for a week on my way back to the airport. I am going to drop my rental car in Playa and take a taxi back to the airport.

Is there a better way to get to Mahahual? I can take the ADO but I am a diver and I will have two large suitcases full of equipment and clothes so that would be a hassle on the ADO bus.

The shuttle will cost $350 so that isn't an option. Can I fly to Chetumal and take a shuttle to Mahahual? Anyone know what that would cost?

Any other ideas?

37 replies to this topic
Southern California
Level Contributor
15,316 posts
1 review
1. Re: Getting to Mahahual

Not 100% positive but I think the flights to Chetumal go via Mexico City. I've driven to Xcalak and your plan to stop overnight in Tulum sounds good to me.

Level Contributor
61 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Getting to Mahahual

My husband and I just returned from Mahahual. We are also divers so we had 2 larger suitcases, 2 carry ons, a camera bag and a drone case (both the size of a backpack). We used the ADO bus system. Took the large bus from the Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen and then took a smaller "bus" to Mahahual. We had no issues with this mode of transportation and all our baggage. This is the way I would suggest. We had no need for a car once in Mahahaul...everything is a short walk away.

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,357 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Getting to Mahahual

The ADO bus has storage in the cargo compartment, there are 3 buses a day,1 from the terminal : 6:45 departure, ticket cost $384 or advance purchase is $239 and takes 5 > hours ...and 2 from the airport at 15:30 and 22:15, cost $384 and takes 5> hours.....

At the end of your trip I would stay at least 1 night in Puerto Morelos since it is only 20 min. to the airport......

Minnesota
Level Contributor
306 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Getting to Mahahual

How long did it take to get to Mahahual? You stowed all of your suitcases underneath?

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,357 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Getting to Mahahual

Your answer is in post #3........5--5 1/4 hours.........

Level Contributor
61 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Getting to Mahahual

It took about 3 1/2 hours to go from PDC to Mahahual. We stored are 2 suitcases and 2 carry ons underneath on the big bus and put the 2 backpack sized bags in the overhead compartment.

On the smaller bus we did the same (larger pieces in the back of bus and backpacks in overhead bin).

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
157 reviews
7. Re: Getting to Mahahual

In checking the ADO schedule, from the first of next month, I see no airport departures and only one Playa del Carmen at 810AM. The good thing is , it is a comfortable bus and not a van.

Eugene, Oregon...
Level Contributor
149 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: Getting to Mahahual

It's always going to depend on what you want to do and how you like to travel. Is everything you want to do close to where you are staying? Do you like to see things off the beaten track? Do you like to be on your own or other people's time schedule? Do you like tours and set activities? Having a car is going to make doing some of these things easier.

My preference is having a car. It's an easy drive. You get to stop at the pina ladies, cruise up and down the coast, and stay somewhere that isn't next to everything. I'll be making the trip this December. Cheers.

Frozen in Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
9. Re: Getting to Mahahual

Hey Kim - any advice on a reputable car rental agency? The stories about insurance scams are kind of making us think taking a bus to Mahahual is the way to go. However, we're staying in a beach house 20 minutes from town, so having a car would be nice.

Thanks for any tips

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
37 reviews
10. Re: Getting to Mahahual

I think you'll be way happier having a car if you're doing a beach house 20 minutes from town. Last trip we stayed 14km south of Mahahual at a home in Puerto Angel. Could not have imagined not having a car to go into town for dinners or supplies and groceries,beer..etc. Drove to some ruins and did a trip to Bacalar lake. Would be extremely limiting not having a car.

Rental agency we use is Avant. Their 15 day rate was the same or better than any of the others for the larger model I needed for 4 people. Vehicle was almost brand new. They also meet you at the airport with your car ...coming and going. This saves a lot of wasted motion and time.

https://www.avantrentacar.com/cars-and-rates They are a highly regarded car rental agency.

Reply to: Getting to Mahahual
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mahahual
Recent Conversations
More Mahahual Topics