We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Cat's Meow

Newmarket, ON...
Level Contributor
388 posts
53 reviews
The Cat's Meow

We've had the privilege to visit Mahahual three times and The Cat's Meow bar and restaurant twice. The co-owner Barbara is a gracious host who likes to stop by and talk with her guests. Service is great and on the last two ocassions, Jorge looked after are every need all day long. Grab a table on the beach, pull up some chairs, bask in the warm sun, enjoy the great swimming and enjoy The Cat's Meow.

Bob

NJ
1 post
1 review
1. Re: The Cat's Meow

The Cat's Meow is highly overrated. The further you walk down the beach the cheaper the prices get. I stopped at the Cat's Meow on my recent trip in January and i have to say is the only place in Mexico that i encountered rude staff. I stopped at the bar for a quick drink and after ordering the bartender started asking me for his tip, mind you this was before i even got my drink or paid. Needless to say i paid for the beer, no tip and found my way further down the road at an establishment that had much cheaper prices and much friendlier staff. Who cares if the Cat's Meow is owned by a Canadian, you're in Mexico, not Canada.

Newmarket, ON...
Level Contributor
388 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: The Cat's Meow

Rusty0769:

Dont assume that because the owners are Canadian that this is important to us. We just had great days there and of all the places we have been in Mahahual in our two weeks spent in the area, this was the best and most fun for my family (parents, two teenagers, grandmother). Sure, cheap beer can be found elsewhere, big deal.

I know Mahahual is in Mexico, not Canada, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Bob

Burke
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
3. Re: The Cat's Meow

We were in Mahahual in July and loved the Cat's Meow. Barbara couldn't have been friendlier and the waiter made a point of saying no tip was necessary (we, of course, tipped) The food and drinks were excellent, I hope they made it through Dean with little damage, we will be thinking of them.

Susan

Fredericksburg, VA
2 posts
4. Re: The Cat's Meow

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Barbara?

We read an AP Story about a couple that sat out the storm in Majahual... that made us think of Barbara and the Cat's Meow.

We sure hope they made it through okay.

Mitch

Liverpool, England
1 post
2 reviews
5. Re: The Cat's Meow

We also have had the privilege to visit Mahahual and stayed for 2 weeks, which were fantastic. We had dinner at the Cat's Meow almost every other night... the food was very good!!! It was great meeting Barbara and her staff.

We would also like to know how to contact her.

We stayed at Kohunbeach 7 k down the road which was perfect! We are worried about Barbara & Hubby, as well as Janet @ Kohunbeach and would like to know if they are all ok. If any one knows please let us know.

Liverpool England

Dave & Kate

ladykathleen405@aol.com

New Brunswick
1 post
1 review
6. Re: The Cat's Meow

I too loved the Cat's Meow!

Here is Barbs email for those who are interested: catsmeowmahahual@yahoo.ca

Dot

California
1 post
7. Re: The Cat's Meow

Does anyone know if Barbara is rebuilding The Cat's Meow? I loved that place - it had THE BEST food - my group of friends and I ate there every single day.

Has anyone been back since things have been rebuilt after the hurricane? I am interested in going back real soon....love that litle town!

Thanks for the help!!!

Linda

Fredericksburg, VA
2 posts
8. Re: The Cat's Meow

Heading back to Costa Maya in August (I know... the height of hurricane season); we'll head over to Mahahual, although we've heard that Barbara and her husband have relocated to Vancouver.

It will be interesting to see how well Mahahual has rebuilt in the last 2 years.

Anybody been there lately?

Mitch

British Columbia
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: The Cat's Meow

Mahahual has not necesarily grown, but the changes are with the thoughts of future growth. New streets, and no sand street along the beach, but a malecon with a walking area between the stores and beach. Different, but not bad just different. If you have not been since Dean you should take your old photos and the changes will be WOW for you.

We went to Mahahual directly after the hurricane and have been many times since and each time we see a difference, but you will see an amazing difference as most of the main Mahahual Pueblo is complete with new condos etc being finished as I type. Would love to see you do a post when you return and see your thoughts on Nuevo Mahahual. One huge example is this: the area towards the Cruise Ship Pier has a new shopping area with a Museum, Cinema and Planet Hollywood being built, I think its Planet Hollywood, it could be another of the huge US Holiday Restaurants but the changes are coming.

Great restarurants, hotels and beautiful people enjoy.

10. Re: The Cat's Meow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Mahahual
Recent Conversations
More Mahahual Topics