We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mahahual, Xcalak, or ? Leaving next week for 2 weeks.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mahahual, Xcalak, or ? Leaving next week for 2 weeks.

My boyfriend and I are heading to Costa Maya next week and can't decide where to stay. He likes to fly fish and we both like to snorkel, kayak, hike, etc. i also want to just relax in peace. We don't like touristy places, but i am wondering if 2 weeks at a house in X may be too quiet, especially if it ends up raining! We do like going to local bars and restaurants occasionally too for some socializing. I am open anywhere along the coast except Cancun and Playa del Carmen. Any suggestions??

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mahahual, Xcalak, or ? Leaving next week for 2 weeks.

I've been to Xcalak twice and can confirm that there really is no bar scene. Maybe at Toby's 1 nite, if he get's a band. Or Costa de Cocos when all the local expats and caretakers meet-up for their monthly chat. The town has good restaurants, superior snorkeling (better by boat, more options) most places have kayaks to use. Guided fly fishing is the best. I consider this place as an island, even though you can drive to it.

We are planning this spring to stay just south of Mahahual. Quite aways south to be away from town. We can always drive in to visit.

Probably a bit more happening in Mahahual on a day to day basis. Just remember when the giant cruise ships come into town, the whole nature of the place changes for 6-8 hrs. You can do all the same things as in Xcalak. Maybe just stay out of town when the ships are in.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
299 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mahahual, Xcalak, or ? Leaving next week for 2 weeks.

The draw to Xcalak is the fishing and the quiet. No bar scene there. One great restaurant (The Leaky Palapa) - but they may still be closed for the summer. Mahahual would be a better fit. There are some nice places in Tulum, and it's a fun town - no where as big as PdC or Cancun.

Forest Lake, MN
Level Contributor
20 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mahahual, Xcalak, or ? Leaving next week for 2 weeks.

My husband and I have visited Mahahual before and are also spending two weeks there at the end of January. We happen to really enjoy the quiet town. You can either stay in town or a little outside of town. The cruise ship days are a little busy and can make for some good people watching. Oddly enough it is cheaper to be in town on those days than on the quiet days. We suggest Maya Luna, about 3 miles south of town. Also El Caballo Blanco in town. The fishing and snorkeling are top knotch!! I've spent over 25 years traveling to Mexico and have found this are to be some of the last untouched areas. Enjoy your adventure.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mahahual, Xcalak, or ? Leaving next week for 2 weeks.

Hi I will be in Mahahual next week nov 25-28 and we would Love to take a day trip to San Pedro Belize from Xcalak With xtc dive center, it cost 250 usd per boat, we are trying to find somebody who would like to travel there. Anybody interested?

5. Re: Mahahual, Xcalak, or ? Leaving next week for 2 weeks.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Mahahual
Recent Conversations
More Mahahual Topics