We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mahahual or Playa Del Carmen for vacation? Can't decide

Buffalo, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Mahahual or Playa Del Carmen for vacation? Can't decide

I don't know much about either of these locations but we're a group of early 20's traveling for a spring break trip. We want somewhere with things to do, but also want to stay in the most beautiful part of mexico (on the carribbean sea). We don't have a budget because we are using a friends time share which has options in both cities. Which location is more beautiful and which would be better for a group of college students?

Red Bank, New Jersey
Level Contributor
194 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mahahual or Playa Del Carmen for vacation? Can't decide

Playa is your best bet. Lots of beach clubs to party at by day and bars to mingle in at night.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,469 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mahahual or Playa Del Carmen for vacation? Can't decide

Mahahual is pretty small, and fairly quiet at night. During the day it's packed with cruise-shippers that fill up the plentiful beach bars.

I agree with the advice above.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,665 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mahahual or Playa Del Carmen for vacation? Can't decide

For natural beauty, it is Mahahual. But if nightlife and tons of tourists are your thing, it is Playa. I would pick Mahahual but for young people a different story.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,272 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mahahual or Playa Del Carmen for vacation? Can't decide

Did you look into getting to Mahahual? You will need to rent car/s or take a long bus trip (with a transfer) and a $40-50 cab. Playa is a lot easier and closer to the airport in Cancun.

Agree with Robert - I would stay in Mahahual (well, really Xcalak) but you will probably be bored there at night unless you want to be isolated with your group. Playa has a lot more choices, which also means you will have more economical options (not priced for cruise passengers) and the town won't shut down when there isn't a ship in port. And, it will be less noticeable when there are cruise passengers in town.

SuitcaseReady.com

Edited: 22 September 2014, 17:49
5. Re: Mahahual or Playa Del Carmen for vacation? Can't decide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Mahahual
Recent Conversations
More Mahahual Topics