We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Mahaual for the first time

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Mahaual for the first time

We are a senior couple looking for quiet beach vacation for our 30th wedding anniversary. We spent many vacations in Tulum at Hamaca Loca before they were closed down. It was our ideal beach! Has anyone been to Almaplena eco resort? from the internet it looks close to what we are used to. We will be going for 7 days, looking for safe, quiet beach, good food. Will we need a car or can we stay at the hotel the whole time? Are there other restaurants within walking distance? Not into adventure or partying or crowds. Thank you for your advice.

maine
Level Contributor
596 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Mahaual for the first time

Almaplena is on a stretch of beautiful beach. No turtle grass and there is snorkeling within walking distance. You definitely want to rent a car. There are no restaurants to walk to along the beach. It's pretty isolated. You are about 20 min. south of Mahahual and there are not a whole lot of places to eat in between. The restaurant at Almaplena was OK. The people who run it were super nice but it was nothing to write home about. Have you checked out Mayan Beach Gardens?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Mahaual for the first time

Thanks for your reply. I have looked at Maya Beach. gardens. From what I soon Internet, Pluses: better restaurant, closer to town and Sian Kaan beaches. Minuses: beach does not look as wonderful as Almaplena, communal eating ( we are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary) . Any advice or comments from folks who have actually been there comparing the two would be helpful. Thank you.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Mahaual for the first time

Good morning.

You have asked a few questions about Mayan Beach Garden on Placer Beach in Mahahual.

I have been to Mayan Beach Garden very many times and I have some helpful answers for you.

First off, one point you seem to be making is privacy. One can choose to eat in the Restaurant at a table all to yourself if you want for every meal. Breakfast is as in any hotel, as is lunch you sit where ever you would like, most people do opt on a beautiful day to utilize the tables in the screened in porch area. I know the last time I was visiting one of the staff brought up my coffee to the room each morning so I could sit and chill on my sun deck and watch the sunrise. For dinner there is an option to sit at a larger table with the rest of the guests and visit and share information about the area, ruins within easy reach, questions about safety, boogie boarding, turtles and just fun daily stories are shared, or, you can choose to sit at the other tables of which there are at least four and have a quiet meal to yourselves if you are not dining al fresco on the rooftop or on your balcony.

Second. The food is probably some of the best food I have eaten anywhere, with pricing that is really reasonable. For privacy, I have seen people eat on their private large out door balconies, or up above on the roof top deck, all it took was a request to Marcia (the female of the owner team, the morning of the dinner)

The snorkelling, kayaking, paddle boarding and beach combing are really fabulous. I cannot imagine a place which is more romantic.

Third. There really are not restaurants in the area, but one easily journeys to town to try out the restaurants which Marcia will recommend as she meets with her groups in town a different places during the week. Also for area drives to beach comb or snorkel other areas, she is a wealth of information and shares her lil spots with a smile on her face.

Fourth. The Cabana's are so lovely, the beds, sheets, layout really cannot be anything but beautiful and private. The bathroom areas are nicely laid out with beautiful mosaic work. Have a look at the website to see the type of room you may enjoy.

Mayan Beach Garden is #! for a reason. Very small and intimate B and B, the food is out of this world. I have returned over and over throughout the years, I have stayed at a few others in the area and always wish I had stayed at MBG instead.

Good luck with your choices.

4. Re: Visiting Mahaual for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Mahahual
Recent Conversations
More Mahahual Topics