We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice - first timer to Grand Serenis Mayan Beach

Montreal
Level Contributor
836 posts
559 reviews
Any advice - first timer to Grand Serenis Mayan Beach

I have been to the Riviera Maya before (Bahia Principe, Colonial Palladium) and we just got an amazing deal for a one week trip starting November 7, so we went for it. Any advice? Specific questions:

1. Any thoughts on requesting a building or rooms? I have already said an upper floor, but should I request a building? I don't know the layout. When I went to the Bahia, we did the Royal Golden Club and where we were, I would not have paid extra for that if I had my time back - we were close to the coral-y beach and had quite a walk to get to the sandy beach that we used, besides the fact that our 'ocean-view' was not very much so. I would have been better off saving my money (I don't mind spending extra but I do expect a return for it). So I figure anyone with experience at the Serenis might be able to advise me.

2. Any particular tours being sold in the lobby that are good?

3. I read somewhere that the pools close at 6pm - is this correct?

4. Any a la cartes to recommend?

5. What was your favorite experience at this resort?

I am getting very excited - I cannot wait to go!

Clara City, MN
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Any advice - first timer to Grand Serenis Mayan Beach

Be ready to have a good time, that's my advice. We went for our honeymoon a year and 1/2 ago, and loved it. Here are my thoughts on your questions.

1. We stayed in building # 27 on the Mayan Beach side of the resort. The second floor doesn't really have a good view of the ocean, because there are tall trees between the buildings and the water, but we could see it above the trees and it wasn't bad. If you're really wanting to see the ocean ask for third floor in building # 27, 28, or 29.

2. We didn't do any tours, so I can't really answer this question.

3. Yes, the pools close at 6pm, but from what I've heard most of the resorts in that area are the same.

4. We liked the Japanese, but they were all ok.

5. We liked the resort because it was so spread out that you never felt like everyone was on top of each other.

Have a good trip.

Rick

BC
Level Contributor
174 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Any advice - first timer to Grand Serenis Mayan Beach

Previous poster mentioned the best locations for rooms, yes try for 3rd floor.

We're not big tour people so we hopped on a colectivo and headed to Tulum as early in the day as possible!! We toured around the ruins then spent a few hours enjoying cervesa we brought from the resort and a beautiful beach, as we brought our swimsuits. Another day we spent a good portion of it after a quick colectivo (we walked, I'd never recommend it!!) to Akumal. We brought our own snorkeling gear, parked our stuff on the beach in front of Lol Ha and headed straight out and found turtles, baracuda, and all sorts of cool stuff.

Also, snorkeling right off the beach at the Sirenis was great!

Loved the Japanese restaurant, enjoyed the steak house because of the lobster at the salad bar (not sure if they still do that) We also really liked the mexican night at the buffet!

Enjoy!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,643 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Any advice - first timer to Grand Serenis Mayan Beach

Tours sold at the hotels often have wildly inflated prices. You can almost always find a better tour for a cheaper price elsewhere.

Burkburnett
Level Contributor
281 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Any advice - first timer to Grand Serenis Mayan Beach

Bldg 18 is great close to everything. Check out their forum here:

http://www.grand-sirenis.com/forum/index.php

lots of good info here.

Augusta
Level Contributor
508 posts
72 reviews
5. Re: Any advice - first timer to Grand Serenis Mayan Beach

1. Any thoughts on requesting a building or rooms? I Think Building 18 or 19 is considered "ocean view", but I would not pay extra. The layout is pretty good, so you are not far from anything. If you want photo's, building 19, you can go to the top floor and get some ocean view photos, the stairway has a pretty balcony. Otherwise, i would not ask for the 3rd floor. the elevators are small, stuffy, slow, and you will do enough walking without stairs. "ground Floor" for me, which is often a bit higher than the ground below.

2. Any particular tours being sold in the lobby that are good?

Dont buy any tours from the lobby. Plan your trips and find alternate methods, you will save big. Def take a cab to Akumal and snorkel w turtles, you can do it on your own. You can arrange private rides to Tulum, Cenotes, shopping or all 3 in one day!

3. I read somewhere that the pools close at 6pm - is this correct?

I think its closer to 8, but at sundown. All resorts in the area close the pool at night.

4. Any a la cartes to recommend?

I thought the Japanese was fun, and could meet people there. Brazilian was good. Didnt care for the Italian, but to each thier own.

5. What was your favorite experience at this resort?

Snorkeling off the beach

Snorkeling and beach in Akumal.

I am getting very excited - I cannot wait to go!

ladysmith, bc...
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Any advice - first timer to Grand Serenis Mayan Beach

we were in building 18 - top floor and loved the location - close to everything. pools close at 6pm though - we didn't find the elevators slow at all - never waited more than about 30 seconds. we enjoyed the japanese, italian and steakhouse the most. the others were okay as well but those three were our favorites (went twice to all three) going to akumal beach to swim with the turtles is always a fun time. you can take a collectivo or a taxi is like $10.

snorkling is also very good at the resort. the lazy river is fun and we loved stopping at the coffee shop after dinner for a "special coffee" and people watching.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
112 reviews
7. Re: Any advice - first timer to Grand Serenis Mayan Beach

we had a great time at this resort, we were on main floor and loved the location. ( building 11 in the riviera section) . like others mentioned tours are sold in the lobby, we had friends that did the zip lining and loved it! Our fav a l acarte was the steakhouse, japaneese and mexican. the cajan we didn't care for, nor the itialan. didn't do the brazilian. When we were there the pools did close at 6pm as they started treatments with the water then. My fav part of this resort was the riviera pool, the lazy river and the ice cream shop! YUM.... have a great time!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Any advice - first timer to Grand Serenis Mayan Beach

I went this time last year and it was so fun!! You could read my review on it by clicking my profile...

Monday night's show in the theater was my favorite - The Lion King :) Also the most popular show, so make sure you go a bit early to grab a good seat! Have fun!

Montreal
Level Contributor
836 posts
559 reviews
9. Re: Any advice - first timer to Grand Serenis Mayan Beach

Does anyone know if they sell beach shoes at the gift shop at the Grand Sirenis?

Pittsburgh PA
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
10. Re: Any advice - first timer to Grand Serenis Mayan Beach

yes they do, but I recommend bringing some with you or buying them elsewhere. The gift shop is a little expensive.