We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Peaks - Ski Season Accommodation Pricing

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Sun Peaks - Ski Season Accommodation Pricing

Hi,

What are the best dates to book a three week ski holiday at Sun Peaks?

- to get the best snow?

- to avoid "high" dates such as presidents weekend or any other celebrations?

- to get the best accommodation rates, are there shoulder weeks?

We have skied Montana, Utah & Colorado & usually book late January/ early February to avoid the most expensive times, does the same apply to Sun Peaks?

Thanks for all advice in advance!!

9 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,567 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Peaks - Ski Season Accommodation Pricing

That is a good time frame, yes.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Peaks - Ski Season Accommodation Pricing

Thanks Vancouverite67.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,484 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Peaks - Ski Season Accommodation Pricing

if you subscribe to their web site you will get the deals when they appear. Usually starts around August.

Three weeks at Sun Peaks is a lot. It does have lots of space but still not a huge area to spend 3 weeks. My suggestion would be to divide your stay in 2 or even 3 different locations which are close bye such as Silver Star and Big White, even consider Revelstoke which has the highest vertical in North America.

Most of the deals will be for after the Christmas vacations (after the 1st week of Jan) until President's vacation which brings lots of Americans usually around 15 of Feb. And this is also around the time of Family day in Canada

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun Peaks - Ski Season Accommodation Pricing

Bonjour Bonjours!,

Thank you for your very comprehensive reply. I found it very helpful.

Would you like to comment as to your thoughts on a mid February visit - snow conditions, accommodation pricing.

We try & stay in one place to maximise our pass costs - three weeks usually allows a season pass & associated savings.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,484 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun Peaks - Ski Season Accommodation Pricing

Conditions are never guaranteed but mid Feb would be good and most or all hill will be well covered. As to pricing, you need to subscribe to their web site.

Most BC resorts get busy around the American president day which is mid Feb as many come from northern west coast. Actually many of the condo's are from the Seatle area as they bought property when the Canadian $ was at 0.60 or 0.65 to the American $.

Also Canadian schools winter breaks start with the Canadian Family day which is also mid Feb. Most eastern schools are off in early March.

So the low season is from the end of New year's week to about mid Feb.

I realize that a season's pass might be more economical but the areas you are interested in all seem to have deals such as pay for 5 days and ski 7 or pay for 3 and get 4. I really think that 3 weeks at Sun Peaks, you will be bored.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun Peaks - Ski Season Accommodation Pricing

Mid Feb will be excellent for snow, but as bonjours said you run into presidents week etc when accommodation availability & costing can get difficult. Mid Jan - Mid Feb I think is the best option.Try Allura Direct for accommodation options This website allows you to deal direct with owners & I have found it the best way to go for accom. in SP. For an extended stay ask the owner if they can do a better price. Start looking now for best pricing & availability. I would also suggest maybe two weeks at SP & the third week at Silver Star. Sure it will add to your costs but both are fantastic resorts, you should try & do both.. A weekly shuttle runs between SP & SS & then you could fly out of Kelowna to return home.If you will have a car its only 2.5 hrs drive.

Revelstoke is a little further out of the way, half way between SP & Banff. Very limited on mountain facilities or Ski in/out there. Most accommodation etc is in town 5k down the road. Its a steep, deep mountain that appeals to the more extreme skier but in my humble opinion not to most average skiers & family groups.

SP & SS are great ski resorts with genuine alpine 'village' facilities with all ski in/out accommodation etc.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun Peaks - Ski Season Accommodation Pricing

Hi Len,

Thanks for your input - we are planning for a trip mid February onwards.

Cheers.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun Peaks - Ski Season Accommodation Pricing

I second what others are saying, I've been to Sun Peaks a couple of times and think you would be bored after a week or so. You should definitely hit up Big White if you are with family and Revelstoke if you are with some advanced/experts. Silver Star would be good for a few days too. Big White is similar to Sun Peaks with a lot of ski in/ski out.

Check Alluradirect and Airbnb but I've had really good experiences on Alluradirect for that region personally.

As for crowds, don't worry about them too much, Sun Peaks is truly a gem when it comes to crowds...as there are none!

My attack plan for the hill was to stay near Mt Morrisey and start there for first chair then move to Burfield and finish your day on Sundance so you can ski back to your place. It worked very well for us and we could see the whole mountain. The killer thing about Sun Peaks is that conditions can vary greatly between the mountains, if you are getting slush on one slope it might be completely different and perfect on Morrisey for example (being shaded most of the time).

It truly is a fantastic place for beautiful corduroy though as it is quite empty most of the time. Have a great trip!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,436 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun Peaks - Ski Season Accommodation Pricing

Is this trip for 2017 or 2018? If you are considering a season's pass, most ski areas have discounts available when you buy the pass well in advance. This won't be useful if your trip is this year, but if it is in 2018, check the ski resort's website. Here in Jasper, Marmot Basin's cheapest season pass rates are before June 30th.

Reply to: Sun Peaks - Ski Season Accommodation Pricing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sun Peaks