We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big White vs Sun Peaks - how do they compare?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Big White vs Sun Peaks - how do they compare?

We have travelled as a family to Big White a number of times and really love it - skiing is great, love the ski in/out options and there is a nice variety of restaurants and some family activities going on. We have never been to Sun Peaks - how does it compare? We might like to try somewhere else but would like to know more about Sun Peaks. Can anyone help us out?

Thanks!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,045 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: Big White vs Sun Peaks - how do they compare?

Hi ~

Sun Peaks is actually listed as an attraction, in the green menu bar up top under the Things to Do category, with over 250 reviews. They would give you a start at knowing more about it. Link is here: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g499150-d2…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Big White vs Sun Peaks - how do they compare?

Hi Jenn. My family & I have skied Big White, Silver Star, & Sun Peaks many times. They are all great ski resorts however our clear favourite is Sun Peaks. It is a year round resort with a European style village layout and lots more shops, restaurants, cafe's, etc, great to wander both day & night. SP has high quality genuine ski in ski out accommodation. It has more skiable terrain than BW with a great selection of runs on three mountains (mostly intermediate but also plenty of expert & beginner as well). SP doesn't get as bitterly cold as BW & rarely gets the foggy, whiteout days that BW can experience. One of the best things about SP is that it gets much less crowded than BW so there is hardly ever any lift queues & the on mountain experience is just much more relaxed & enjoyable. SP is a fantastic family ski resort that ticks all the boxes. Try it, I'm sure you will love it.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Big White vs Sun Peaks - how do they compare?

Thanks! Sounds great and worth the trip!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32,724 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Big White vs Sun Peaks - how do they compare?

I haven't been to Big White in a long time, so I can't compare, but we have always really enjoyed our trips to Sun Peaks.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Big White vs Sun Peaks - how do they compare?

Len W, thanks for your comparison, I actually had the same question as JennA as my family is also thinking of trying Sun Peaks instead of Big White this year. It's really helpful to hear from someone who has been to both resorts.

One thing I haven't been able to find at Sun Peaks so far is a condo complex with a games room. We've stayed at Stonebridge at Big White and use the games room a lot for après ski and on foggy days. Do you know if there's something similar at Sun Peaks? I've been looking at condos for a few hours and haven't turned up anything similar yet.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Big White vs Sun Peaks - how do they compare?

Correction, I meant to say we've stayed at Stonegate at Big White.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,985 posts
141 reviews
7. Re: Big White vs Sun Peaks - how do they compare?

I have skied both and liked them both for different reasons. Both have a nice village, great ski schools and ski week programs. Personally I find Big White offers a better variety of hills and more runs that SP. SP is known for it's number of sunny days whereas BW does have a share of foggy days (you can move from mountain to mountain- you know you have been there).

You cannot make a mistake by choosing either.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
112 reviews
8. Re: Big White vs Sun Peaks - how do they compare?

Both are great beginner intermediate hills. Sun Peaks is a bit better in my opinion for an all around family trip, but no question, Big White gets better snow.

9. Re: Big White vs Sun Peaks - how do they compare?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2017, 16:17