We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow in march

honolulu
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Snow in march

Hi, anyone mind giving their opinions on typical quality of snow mid march at sun peaks vs silver star. We are a family of 4, (w/2 preteens). We have been to both big white and silverstar. Kids loved big white, and tree skiing. But dad isnt to keen on the crowds😊.

Any info would be awesome

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,905 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow in march

Sun Peaks is not going to be less crowded than Big White.

honolulu
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow in march

Ok, is that due to springbreak?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow in march

Huh???

No....it's because both mountains are popular.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,578 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow in march

With ~30 ski resorts in BC, if you are willing to be creative, you can find some fabulous hills that are less well known, a bit further from major population centres and not as well advertised internationally, so they are less prone to the big crowds you see at Big White, Sun Peaks and Silver Star.

You might want to research places like Red Mountain in Rossland, Fernie Ski Country, Mt. Revelstoke (more of an advanced hill), Powder King outside Prince George. I've only skiied Fernie myself, but I loved it, and I know they've done a lot of development since I was last there.

Whistler/Blackcomb has become the major international prestige ski destination, so Sun Peaks, Big White and Silver Star have all picked up the overflow. Not sure there's much to choose between those three in terms of snow conditions or crowds.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,227 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow in march

Mike, just wanted to let you know, that I tried answering your query about Mount Washington. But every time I click on it, it goes to "404 page not found". Constantly! Anyway, I have given up. But I did want to tell you that March is when a lot of schools take their spring break holidays. So while Mount Washington will be busy, it is all relative. Never busy like Whistler.

honolulu
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow in march

Thanks for the update!

5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow in march

Yes, Vancouverite67, Powder King is an awesome place to go for a few days of skiing! They are located two hours north of Prince George and experience more than forty-feet of snowfall each year! If you choose to visit Powder King you can stay in Prince George - there are lots of accommodation options and restaurants for apres-ski - and drive to Powder King or take the Powder King Express Bus. Taking the bus is a great option because it means you don't have to drive after an incredible day of skiing. There are some accommodations available at Powder King, and some nice cabins located 5 minutes away from the hill - you can find more information about Powder King and their accommodations on their website.

Reply to: Snow in march
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sun Peaks