We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grafton

Nambucca Heads...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
grafton

I will be visiting grafton in August this year. Can you please tell me what there is to do in the area. Can you visit any Indian Reservations or are they not in this area?

Regards

Laraine

5 replies to this topic
North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grafton

Are you staying in the city of Grafton or Camp Grafton?

Nambucca Heads...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grafton

grafton

North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grafton

Then no you're not near any Indian reservations but certainly within driving distance. You're about 100 miles (or a little less than 2 hours drive) from Spirit Lake Reservation, which is near Devils Lake and ironically Camp Grafton. Grand Forks, ND is the closest largish city to you (about 40 miles) which has the University of ND and lots of shopping and restaurants compared to what Grafton can offer. Here is a link about the city of Grafton: http://www.graftongov.com/ Winnipeg, Manitoba is pretty much the only real city within a decent driving distance which is about 120 miles and maybe a 2.5 hour drive.

I apologize for asking about the Camp but its a Military training camp with our National Guard so more folks from other countries tend to go there than tend to go to the City of Grafton, which town has only a population of about 4,000.

Jamestown, North...
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grafton

There are lots of options in the NE corner of North Dakota. At Grafton you are about an hour away from 2 different state parks, Icelandic and Turtle River. Park River goes right through Grafton so there are fishing opportunities. With the Red River and Devils Lake also nearby, you have some of the best fishing in the state. There's a 9-hole golf course in Grafton. You will also be relatively close to the Pembina Gorge (beautiful area) and the Gringas Trading Post (if you like historical sites). And if you are going to drive 2.5 hours, rather than Winnipeg, you may want to consider the International Peace Garden. August is a great time of year to see this site.

You may also want to check out the events listed at the North Dakota Tourism website. There is a Pow-wow in August in Grand Forks. There are also music festivals, kids events, races, just to name a few. I hope you enjoy your visit.

Grand Forks, North...
Level Contributor
40 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grafton

I will also suggest visiting Icelandic State Park, Pembina County State Museum, and the state museum in Pembina to learn about North Dakota history and early life on the great plains. All of these are either free or have minimal cost to explore. There are many events occuring in the area at this time as well. If you have questions or want additional information please contact the Cavalier Chamber of Commerce at cacc@polarcomm.com or visit www.cavaliernd.com

Reply to: grafton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grafton
Recent Conversations