We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe areas?

f p
around
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Safe areas?

I am planning to visit here to see if I'd like to move here and rent an apartment, but WOW after investigating the crime rates in Winston Salem I'm reconsidering.

Are there any safe low crime areas very close to WS and are there areas I should completely avoid? I'm a single female.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
173 reviews
1. Re: Safe areas?

I think WS is pretty safe with normal precautions. Here is a thread which might help you.

city-data.com/forum/greensboro-winston-salem…

bestplaces.net/city/…winston-salem

Edited: 30 May 2015, 20:02
f p
around
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Safe areas?

Thanks! I saw the best places before i posted but not other one. Renting a hotel for a couple nights to see if i like it enough to move... otherwise off to next place. I live in florida but use to live in asheville and whittier. I dont want to deal with constant break ins again like whittier.

3 posts
3. Re: Safe areas?

Did you make the move ? We are also in Florida and are relocating to Winston.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Safe areas?

This is not a relocation forum, so this thread may be deleted. But I do want to comment--Winston-Salem is a very safe place in general. The crime rates are affected by a few areas that, unfortunately, have high poverty, drug activity, and criminal activity. The city, along with many charitable organizations, are working to improve things, but these problems will always exist in parts of any larger city. The good news is that the bad areas are contained to certain parts that are easily avoided, and you rarely hear about crime in the many "better" parts of the city/county. I can confidently tell you that crime rates are no reason to avoid moving here, unless your budget is so limited that you are forced to live in a high crime area.

3 posts
5. Re: Safe areas?

Can you give me some of the better areas ?

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Safe areas?

Montecarlo, I strongly suggest that you visit the city-data forum that Sophie linked above. There you'll find lots of relocation threads and info. There are way too many "better areas" to list here, and this thread will likely be deleted. But in general the northwest, west, and southwest sides of the city and county are most desirable. But that's a grand generalization, as there are many safe areas outside those regions.

Good luck to you!

3 posts
7. Re: Safe areas?

Perfect! Thank you!!

8. Re: Safe areas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2018, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Winston Salem