We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

woman traveling alone

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
218 posts
140 reviews
woman traveling alone

Next summer I will be dropping my kids off at UNCSA and then I'll be on my own for a few days until my husband can join me. Can anyone recommend a hotel or area that is safe and possibly walkable for a woman traveling alone. I enjoy an urban area but I'm planning to rent a car so I can stay anywhere. Easy access to restaurants and shops would be nice. Thank you!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: woman traveling alone

Downtown Winston-Salem is where you want to be. It's safe, walkable, and there are lots of restaurants/bars and shops. Best would be the Marriott or Embassy Suites (they're next to each other), as they provide easy walking access to both 4th Street and the Arts District at Trade St. The Brookstown Inn is a beautiful historic property in the Old Salem area, a little farther from the Arts District but convenient to 4th St. You might also consider the Hawthorne Inn or the Wingate.

Good luck!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
218 posts
140 reviews
2. Re: woman traveling alone

Thank you!! How is Old Salem in the evenings? Does it empty out?

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: woman traveling alone

^ It is quiet in the evenings, but not completely deserted. The shops and museums close early (5 pm or so), but there are several restaurants in the area, as well as the Salem College students who may be wandering about. There is a strollway that runs from Old Salem up to 4th Street, so there's easy access if you choose to walk to the restaurants/bars there.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
218 posts
140 reviews
4. Re: woman traveling alone

Leaning toward the Brookstown Inn because it seems more economical. The Embassy Suites & the Marriott both charge for parking. It would be less expensive to stay at the Microtel or one of the hotels near the mall. Thoughts on that? I'll be alone a few nights at the beginning.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: woman traveling alone

The Brookstown Inn is a great choice. The mall area hotels are fine too, it just means you'll have to drive everywhere. Not a big problem...Winston-Salem has very little traffic, and there are lots of restaurants and shopping opportunities nearby. You might even consider splitting your time--stay at the mall area first, then move over to the Brookstown when your husband arrives--it's a lot more romantic! :)

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: woman traveling alone

Zevely Inn or Shaffner House are also nice B&B's in downtown Winston. I think those or the Brookstown are much more interesting than the Embassy Suites or Marriott (though those are certainly fine).

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,894 posts
91 reviews
7. Re: woman traveling alone

Having just been to W-S, I can't agree that W-S has little traffic. The Hanes Mall area, Stratford Rd and Silas Creek Parkway were busy almost any time I was out. I have stayed in the mall area many times. The Microtel is indeed OK and inexpensive, if you can handle the compact but complete room. An advantage for single travelers is that all rooms are entered from the inside. There are plenty of restaurants in the area, with even a steakhouse next door. W-S is easy to navigate N-S, but E-W not so without using I-40 or Business 40. There are several other nice hotels in the mall area. I have also stayed in the Brookstown Inn and loved it.

A fantastic day trip would be to drive up to the Blue Ridge Parkway past Pilot Mountain and Mt Airy ("Mayberry") and then on to the parkway going west. It's easy to drop back down south many places and head back to W-S. And all a very scenic drive. There are also some neat old houses in Greensboro to tour.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
218 posts
140 reviews
8. Re: woman traveling alone

Thank you for the great suggestions!

Boulder
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
37 reviews
9. Re: woman traveling alone

I love the Brookstown Inn and I've stayed there 4 times. It is an easy 10 min walk to the downtown area and a 5 minute walk the other way to Old Salem.

10. Re: woman traveling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2018, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Winston Salem