We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to allow for Old Salem

Binghamton, New York
11 posts
How much time to allow for Old Salem

If I wanted to do a quick trip through Old Salem, (visiting just a few of the buildings, say 5 or 6), how much time should I allow for my visit? Also, is this a "walking" village or do we drive from street to street?

10 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: How much time to allow for Old Salem

It's a walking village. For 5 or 6 buildings, a couple hours max. It's a popular place for school field trips, and they typically take 1/2 day or so.

2. Re: How much time to allow for Old Salem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 February 2017, 03:05

NC
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
154 reviews
3. Re: How much time to allow for Old Salem

I have included a link for the hours of operation for buildings/shops. Please also note that everything is closed on Mondays in Old Salem.

www.oldsalem.org/visit/hours-of-operation/

Binghamton, New York
11 posts
4. Re: How much time to allow for Old Salem

Thanks so much all! Looks like we will be there Tuesday and have the whole day. We will be staying very close to Old Salem overnight. Anything recommendations on local places for a great steak for dinner?

NC
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
154 reviews
5. Re: How much time to allow for Old Salem

The place for the best steaks here in Winston is hands-down, Texas Roadhouse. They stay VERY busy, but if you can get there before 5pm, you shouldn't have a wait.

Binghamton, New York
11 posts
6. Re: How much time to allow for Old Salem

Thanks

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
44 reviews
7. Re: How much time to allow for Old Salem

Texas Roadhouse is a chain, but their steaks are okay. Better steaks can be found at Ryan's (this is a local place, not the chain), Putter's (not much for atmosphere, but arguably the best steaks anywhere), and Fratelli's Italian Steakhouse. For a unique dining experience, consider the Tavern in Old Salem. Servers in period costumes, and very good food. There are also some very good food options downtown, including Hutch & Harris, Sweet Potatoes, and Fourth Street Filling Station, among others.

Binghamton, New York
11 posts
8. Re: How much time to allow for Old Salem

It looks like we'll have plenty of choices. Thanks so much for the information!

NC
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
154 reviews
9. Re: How much time to allow for Old Salem

I would respectfully disagree about Ryan's. We have been there several times only as a group get-together and never found the steaks there as good as other places. It has never been worth the amount of money we spend for 2 of us, but if you've never been there and you don't have a budget, then it might be an option for you. You will need to make reservations for Ryan's in advance if you would like to dine here. Here is the menu for Ryan's:

ryansrestaurant.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/…

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
44 reviews
10. Re: How much time to allow for Old Salem

Hi Jenn,

Sorry you haven't had good experiences at Ryan's. It is expensive, but the few times I've been there the food has been outstanding. The reviews both here at Tripadvisor and at Yelp are very positive, so maybe you just happened to catch them on a bad night--it happens at all restaurants from time to time.

In general, I think Winston-Salem has a great selection of non-chain, local restaurants, especially for a city its size. We are very fortunate in that regard!

Reply to: How much time to allow for Old Salem
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Winston Salem