We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the ocean at Sunset Beach murky?

Calabash, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
Is the ocean at Sunset Beach murky?

Friends went to Oak Island last week and said the ocean water was a brown color and had brown foam all on the sand. Can someone tell me if the ocean at Sunset Beach is like that or is the water more blue than brown? Thanks

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,822 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Is the ocean at Sunset Beach murky?

How long have you been in NC? I'd say Sunset is pretty typical of the Atlantic all along the coast of NC. The ocean varies from day to day and week to week. The Atlantic is not going to be the crystal clear blue-green like the Caribbean. Generally the water at Sunset is typical Atlantic Ocean water. It's not crystal clear, but is not usually brown or murky. Sometimes it has seaweed, sometimes it has jellyfish, sometimes it's calm, sometimes it's rough. Generally speaking the waves at Sunset are usually calmer than the Outer Banks, but it depends on the weather and ocean currents.

Calabash, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Is the ocean at Sunset Beach murky?

Yes, I come from Florida and just figured that the NC coast water would be the same blue.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Is the ocean at Sunset Beach murky?

The Atlantic coast is highly affected by what goes on out at sea. (i.e. Storms, Currents, etc) and North Carolina being the meeting point of the Labrador current and the Gulf Stream, it changes all the time. Just because you have heard the water is such from somebody else, doesn't mean it will be for you.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,822 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Is the ocean at Sunset Beach murky?

I'd say it's sort of blue/green/gray in NC usually. Florida may have bluer ocean water.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Is the ocean at Sunset Beach murky?

Oak Island is known to have "murky" or less clear water than the other Brunswick County, NC beaches because it's at the mouth of the Cape Fear River.

Sunset Beach water, (and other Brunswick beaches' waters, other than Oak Island) while not as blue as Florida, usually isn't "murky" unless there's a huge storm/hurricane, etc churning up the water.

Calabash, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: Is the ocean at Sunset Beach murky?

Thanks, I appreciate that information.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Is the ocean at Sunset Beach murky?

I have stopped at Oak island for a short tour, but have never stayed there. The water st Sunset Beach isn't brown. The only times I have seen anything close to that is the Canals. I believe mainly because the bottom is muddy. Go to this facebook page to view pics of the Atlantic at Sunset Beach

https:/…

Sunset Beach, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Is the ocean at Sunset Beach murky?

The water can be murky after a storm, but is usually clear and clean since there are no rivers nearby and the sea bottom is sand, not muddy. Sunset is a great beach, wide, with good sand - not the replenished pumped in stuff. It faces south and is very gently sloping with no rocks or gravel. You can sit in a lounge chair in the water and watch the kids play without big waves in shallow water, or even walk out 100 yards and be shoulder deep. There are no high rises, none, with only a small food and sandwich shop, and a store or two. Pretty much perfect for families with little kids.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
229 posts
32 reviews
9. Re: Is the ocean at Sunset Beach murky?

It's not an ocean. It is the Caribbean sea and the water is clear as crystal.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
229 posts
32 reviews
10. Re: Is the ocean at Sunset Beach murky?

I think the writer is talking about a different Sunset Beach, not the one in Jamaica

Get answers to your questions about Sunset Beach
Recent Conversations