We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Super 8 on S. Saunders off I-40 an OK place to stay?

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rocky River, Ohio
Level Contributor
191 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Super 8 on S. Saunders off I-40 an OK place to stay?

We'll be driving from Cleveland to Emerald Isle in July. We're thinking of staying overnight in Raleigh on our way down and are looking at the Super 8 on South Saunders. Rates are cheap, it has an outdoor pool ... but the reviews I've read are all over the place. Anybody know anything about this motel? Ok for just an overnight, or avoid at all costs? Also, any decent restaurants nearby? Thanks!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Super 8 on S. Saunders off I-40 an OK place to stay?

I don't know a thing about the quality of the hotel. The area is a convenient stop off of I-40 though so I would think it would serve your needs.

Dining in the immediate area is a bit limited...there's a good Mexican place nextdoor though. If you go a few miles south on Saunders (401) you'll find a decent southern-fried seafood joint (Captain Stanley's). A good number of fast food joints are down that ways too.

Or if you wanna go a few miles north on Saunders, you can venture into downtown where there's tons of excellent dining if you have the time to explore options there.

Rocky River, Ohio
Level Contributor
191 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Super 8 on S. Saunders off I-40 an OK place to stay?

Thanks ... I had read some reviews that indicated it might be a shady area of town. We're just there for a quick stop so I think it will be fine. We will have time to venture downtown (we'll be arriving right around dinnertime on a Friday night). Do you have any recommendations for something not too expensive, but good local food with good ambience? Also, we may want to check out a bar so I'm guessing those will be downtown near the restaurants. Know of any that might have a pool table / dartboard or shuffleboard table?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Super 8 on S. Saunders off I-40 an OK place to stay?

I live in Raleigh. This is in kind of a dumpy part of town. You might want to stop in Cary, there are several decent hotels at Crossroads , I think exit 293.

If you do stay on south Saunders there are plenty of good places to eat in downtown Raleigh , less than a mile away

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
739 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Super 8 on S. Saunders off I-40 an OK place to stay?

THat is a dumpy part of town. If you are looking for a cheap hotel in downtown, I can recommend the Days Inn daysinn.com/hotels/…

It is right downtown and only about $60 a night if you book early.

It is walking distance from Glenwood South, one of the main bar/restaurant districts. If you are looking for a good bar with a local crowd, shuffleboard, etc. try Lucky B's (I think its called?) behind the Armadillo Grill, but there are tons of other options to choose from in that area too.

Another place that has shuffleboard (can u tell I love bar shuffleboard?) is Slims, on Wilmington Street. There is an free R-line bus that can get you around downtown as wells a pedi cabs (free, but tip is usually a buck a block) so you don't have to worry about drinking and driving once you get to your hotel.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Super 8 on S. Saunders off I-40 an OK place to stay?

If you are looking for a bar with darts and live music, Tir Na Nog is a good bet. It's on Blount St at Moore Sqauare downtown. It's an Irish bar with pretty good food (higher end fish and chips, shepherd's pie, etc) and a good selection of beers on tap. The Oxford on Fayetteville St also has darts but is more of an English pub. If it's a nice night, just walking along Fayetteville St is good people watching on the weekend.

You might also look into the Red Roof Inn on S Saunders. It's on the downtown side of I-40 (but really close to the interstate). It doesn't have much right around it so it might be quieter and perhaps a little less shady.

Smithfield, North...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Super 8 on S. Saunders off I-40 an OK place to stay?

I would suggest you pass up on the Super 8 and try the Red Roof also just a little down the street. Make sure your car is secure. However on your next trip just continue down I 40 East about 10-15 minutes further, to Clayton and the Hwy 42 exit, its much quieter, safer and loaded with nice competative priced hotels, restaurants and night life.Its called the Clevland/Clayton Community at the intersection of hwys 40 & 42.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
12 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Super 8 on S. Saunders off I-40 an OK place to stay?

I grew up not to far from there and I'd say avoid it. Virtually any exit off of 40 would get you a better area. Natty Greenes downtown has local beer, a couple quarter tables, darts, and shuffle board.

8. Re: Is the Super 8 on S. Saunders off I-40 an OK place to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2013, 10:23