We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach nearby Raleigh

Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Beach nearby Raleigh

Have a work trip June 12-14th next week. If I come in a day early is there a beach nearby to take my 14 year old daughter? Trying to figure out if I should bring her and if there are things for her to do while

I’m working. Thanks!

13 replies to this topic
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Beach nearby Raleigh

Wrightsville Beach is the closest beach to Raleigh, about 2 hours drive away. Raleigh is a busy city, not sure I'd want my 14 yo unsupervised in a strange city. My daughter lives in Raleigh, her job only requires her to be at her office once or twice a week, several of her co-workers who have children choose to put their kids in summer day camps on the days they go to the office. I understand that there are some day camps that allow day by day participation/payment. Here's a list I found, most look too young for your daughter, but there are some for kids her age. http://fun4raleighkids.com/Camps/

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,733 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Beach nearby Raleigh

I don't think I would take her to the beach. You'd want to be available if she runs into trouble. Wrightsville is about 1.5 hrs away and would make a good day trip with her if you could add on another day to your trip.

I wouldn't feel too worried about my 14 yr old being in Raleigh by herself (I too have a 14 yr old daughter) but I'm not sure she would be that into it. There's the NC History Museum and the NC Natural Sciences Museum downtown which are fun and places to get out of the heat if you wanna try it. There are lots of little shops to walk around, downtown, too. If you might be able to meet her for lunch to break up her day it might work for you. Where will your work be located in Raleigh?

Edited: 03 June 2018, 18:22
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Beach nearby Raleigh

Thank you!

Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Beach nearby Raleigh

Thank you! Convention Center

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,733 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Beach nearby Raleigh

The Convention Center is downtown so there would be stuff for her to walk to — the two museums I mentioned. There's an IMAX theater in Marbles Children's nearby, too, which is also easily walkable. The museum part of Marbles wouldn't hold much interest for her since it's mostly for little kids, but the IMAX might have something good playing while you're working.

The History Museum and the Science Museum are free so she could just wander in if she wants to. I particularly like the new wing of the science museum which has a lot of hands on touch-screen stuff and a great "planet earth" movie theater that shows looping short films that are mesmerizing. Both museums do sometimes have a paid exhibit w/in the free stuff, and they have nice gift shops so you might send her with a little money. The new wing of the science museum seems very geared toward teens if she has any interest in science or nature.

https://www.ncmuseumofhistory.org/

http://naturalsciences.org/

This is the IMAX in Marbles. It's got the new Star Wars Solo movie playing right now and some nature docs:

https://www.imaxraleigh.org/

https://www.marbleskidsmuseum.org/

There are lots of shops and restaurants downtown, too. http://godowntownraleigh.com/

I don't know that it would be the most exciting 3 days of her life, but she could keep herself amused if she wants to. If the other option is just sitting at home then that's not that much fun, so you could give it a try.

Maybe try to add that extra day on if that's possible with your work schedule and plan to zip down to Wrightsville Beach or Carolina Beach then. www.wilmingtonandbeaches.com

Or The Revivalists are playing the Red Hat Amphitheater in downtown Raleigh right near the convention center on that Thurs night if she's a fan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Pt7M0weUI

redhatamphitheater.com/event/the-revivalists…

Maybe do a little Google Street view walkabout and see what you think. I've never felt unsafe in downtown Raleigh especially during the day. You could also check out North Hills shopping area and NC State if www.ncsu.edu if either of those appeal.

Edited: 03 June 2018, 19:50
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Beach nearby Raleigh

I agree we've never felt unsafe in downtown Raleigh, and also agree there's some neat things to see/do there, and throughout the area. However. as a mother of 2 daughters, both now in their 20's, from experience, I'd be quite concerned, and extremely cautious before allowing either of my girls at age 14 to explore a strange, very busy city alone. My girls have always been very responsible and mature, but at that age, in cities they were familar with, and with friends with them were also responsible and familar, we had incidences with both girls. All worked out fine, but I remember a few tense hours, for them and for us. I guess you could call those incidences learning experiences, but thinking back, there's much better/safer ways of learning some things. I personally wouldn't allow a 14 yo daughter of mine to experience a strange city alone.

You know your daughter best, maybe she's already successfully managed these type experiences before?...or maybe not.

Best Wishes.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,733 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: Beach nearby Raleigh

Well, I think we're getting into the weeds here on parenting decisions a little bit, but I think Raleigh is safe and wouldn't feel bad about leaving my 14 yr old there to fend for herself while I was nearby and she could text me or call me.

I actually would feel much better about her being in Raleigh than being at the beach, if say, my work was taking me to Wilmington. I would not allow her to swim in the ocean without an adult watching. That's beyond my comfort level. Far too many folks drown.

You've got to have some street smarts to live in this world. So presumably we're teaching our girls what to do if they're approached with unwanted attention. Downtown Raleigh is a city, but not very "big city" and it's very walkable. As long as she feels comfortable asking someone who works in a restaurant or shop or museum downtown for help if she gets turned around or unnerved then I think it's a fairly safe place to let a 14 yr old girl roam during the day.

I'm not sure it's very thrilling for a 14 yr old on her own, though. I'm sure my 14 yr old would rather hang out with her friends if given the choice between friends or a day in Raleigh on her own.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
803 posts
44 reviews
8. Re: Beach nearby Raleigh

Lots of great advice already. Yes, Wrightsville Beach/Wilmington is an easy beach to get to (2 hours) and lots of fun to visit.

You didn't say that you would be downtown for your work, but if so I agree that its an easy city to get around in and lots of great older kid stuff, with the museums described above.

My kids ran around downtown Raleigh at that age, but they knew the city pretty well.

Another option it Artspace summer arts camp. My kids loved it at that age. artspacenc.org/classes-education/…

If your daughter is more into science, the Museum of Natural Science has amazing camps, although mostly full by now. naturalsciences.org/calendar/…

NC
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
154 reviews
9. Re: Beach nearby Raleigh

Will you be working all 3 of those days? if so, then you should definitely consider not bringing your daughter. I would not bring my daughter on a work trip and leave her to do her own thing for 3 days in a strange city. As advised, the beaches are a good distance anyway, not something you want to just take her to and drop her off.

I also have a daughter (now 20) and I do not think she would have wanted to be taken on a work trip and left alone for 3 days in a strange city. I, personally, don't think there's even enough for her to do for those 3 days. Maybe let her do some research and let her decide if she wants to come?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,733 posts
39 reviews
10. Re: Beach nearby Raleigh

Actually VaNC, she did say she would be at the Convention Center in post #4. That's in downtown Raleigh.

Edited: 04 June 2018, 13:29
Reply to: Beach nearby Raleigh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted