We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving to go to dc on Friday- best time?.

washington, dc...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Leaving to go to dc on Friday- best time?.

Hi!

Looking to leave nags head this Friday to return home to DC. Any suggestions n best time of day to head out to avoid outgoing obx traffic as well as Richmond and Fredericksburg rush hour?

Thanks!,

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving to go to dc on Friday- best time?.

The Earlier the better but the Outer Banks traffic shouldn't be an issue on a Friday Fredericksburg and DC you will be going against the heavy traffic so that shouldn't be a problem either, I was in Richmond yesterday left about 1:30 and it was light traffic all the way to Fredericksburg .

Mentioned in this post
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
431 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving to go to dc on Friday- best time?.

I live off 95 and 295 in Richmond. Traffic builds heavily Friday afternoon and through evening. Before 4 or after 8 is better around Richmond.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 01:30
Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving to go to dc on Friday- best time?.

Fredericksburg has a rush hour? I guess I am glad we moved away 12 years ago. Leaving the OBX won't be an issue at all, there is no traffic leaving Friday. You want to avoid the Va Beach, Richmond and Northern Va traffic. No. Va should not be an issue since you are going in and they are coming out - depending on where you are going. I'd leave by noon and you should be Golden.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 14:52
Mentioned in this post
Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
963 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving to go to dc on Friday- best time?.

I'd think after 10am on Friday morning. Most of the OBX rentals are Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday. There is a construction slowdown around Fredricksburg, but Va Beach and Williamsburg should be no problem if there are no accidents.

Mentioned in this post
Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving to go to dc on Friday- best time?.

I don't think your trouble will be with the OBX end of your trip.... time it based on the DC portion....

6. Re: Leaving to go to dc on Friday- best time?.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Nags Head