We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying on South Nags Head Island next week, need advice!!!

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Staying on South Nags Head Island next week, need advice!!!

and needed some help/advice. 1. My wife is having her birthday next friday during our stay there and I was wondering if there was a bakery or someplace that bakes birthday cakes, etc. that you guys could recommend (I wanted to call ahead and order it this week). 2. I was wondering how the view from the beach is at night, like can you see a lot of stars, etc.? My wife really likes astronomy and loves to look at the stars but we have lived in city areas for the past 9 years where you can see nothing at night. I was hoping to maybe rent a telescope and buy a star map or something, of course the naked eye might just work too. Thanks for any advice!!

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying on South Nags Head Island next week, need advice!!!

If you have an Android phone, go to the Google play store and download the Google sky map. Terrific. Don't know if it is available for iOS phones.

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying on South Nags Head Island next week, need advice!!!

My wife has the Samsung Galaxy so I don't think she has the map, dang.

Cincinnati, Ohio
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying on South Nags Head Island next week, need advice!!!

The Galaxy is an Android phone. I have a Galaxy S2 and Google Sky Map is awesome...and it is free.

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying on South Nags Head Island next week, need advice!!!

Okay, great, thanks for the tip!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying on South Nags Head Island next week, need advice!!!

The ocean views depend on how high the house is. It is certainly possible, what's the address?

Stars - if it is a clear night the sky will explode with stars. SNH is dark with few lights and no street lights or commercial shopping center lights to spoil the stars.

You will like that sky map app.

Cakes --- Harris Teeter grocery does a nice job with cakes. There is a Harris Teeter at mile post 10 at the KDH / Nags Head town line which is about 8 miles from your rental house.

2012 S Croatan Hwy Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina 27948

(252) 449-9191

Mentioned in this post
Nags Head
Nags Head
Outer Banks, NC
Kill Devil Hills
Kill Devil Hills
Outer Banks, NC
Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying on South Nags Head Island next week, need advice!!!

The address is 10204 S. Colony South Drive, Nags Head, NC 27959. Thanks for the advice, how close do you think that Harris Teeter is to the house? I appreciate all the help!

Mentioned in this post
Nags Head
Nags Head
Outer Banks, NC
nc
Level Contributor
492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying on South Nags Head Island next week, need advice!!!

The Harris Teeter is in Kill Devil Hills around milepost 10, and it looks like you are staying near milepost 21. Just head north and it will be on the west side of the bypass, behind the Rite Aid. You are about as south as South Nags Head goes, so the stars should be incredible if there is no moon and no clouds. You will be surrounded by unlit park service land. No need for a telescope, just head out on the beach or your house's top deck, if it has one. You may see a lot of shooting stars too. They are from the Perseid meteor shower.

Mentioned in this post
Kill Devil Hills
Kill Devil Hills
Outer Banks, NC
Nags Head
Nags Head
Outer Banks, NC
richmond
Level Contributor
950 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying on South Nags Head Island next week, need advice!!!

Cafe Lachine in the Outer Banks Mall is awesome and closer to where you are staying. They have a website.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Lachine
Cafe Lachine
360 Reviews
Nags Head, NC
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying on South Nags Head Island next week, need advice!!!

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying on South Nags Head Island next week, need advice!!!

Also suggest Café Lachine and NO need for telescope where you are..... lots of good aps with star information....

Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Nags Head