We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC-Smoking mountain-Savannah-Outer banks road trip

J G
Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Topic
DC-Smoking mountain-Savannah-Outer banks road trip

Hi

My wife and I, in the thirties,we would like to make a round trip during 2 weeks in august.

I don't know if it's realistic to visit smoking mountain 2-3 days, maybe nashville 1 days and go to Savannah 2 days, Charlestonne 1 day, Myrthe Beach 1 day and Outer Banks the rest coming back to dc.

We would like to make camping (tent) combining with motel and b&b. And maybe pay one night an excellent accomodation.

What is the best itinerary that you recommend?

All tips and good ideas to do during this trip are welcome. We would like to taste the best local food, the nature, avoid if it's possible the crowd,, discover country music in nashville, good hiking in the smoking mountain and wild beach.

Any recommendation where to sleep and hidding jewels not to miss.

Thanks

J

Edited: 29 July 2013, 08:10
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC-Smoking mountain-Savannah-Outer banks road trip

The smoking mountains made me laugh. I believe it is the Smokey Mountains.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC-Smoking mountain-Savannah-Outer banks road trip

^ Actually it's Smoky Mountains (no "e"), but yeah, I hadn't heard "Smoking" Mountains before.

To the OP, your trip is awfully ambitious--lots of driving and lots of camping set-up and tear-down time. I suppose it's doable if you don't mind all the driving, but if it were me I'd want to do less driving to have more time to enjoy the destinations. If you want to trim it down a bit, I would suggest eliminating Savannah. It's a great place to visit, but Charleston would give you a southern coastal city experience with lots more to see and do. Also, spending only one day in Nashville seems hardly worth the driving time to get there. If you really want to go there, you might want to spend at least a couple of days. And finally, if you're seeking to avoid the crowds and visit "wild" beaches, Myrtle Beach is not the place for you. It's a big commercialized strip of heavy traffic and crowded beaches, so you might skip it altogether in favor of spending more time on the Outer Banks (which is pretty much the opposite--much less crowded with lots of nearly-deserted beaches and natural areas).

J G
Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: DC-Smoking mountain-Savannah-Outer banks road trip

Yes Smoky mountain.... Sorry nighly post 😁... ;)

I think we are prepared to make some days long driving trip.

Thanks for nashville suggestion and to avoid mirthe beach.

Thanks!

Edited: 29 July 2013, 15:28
Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DC-Smoking mountain-Savannah-Outer banks road trip

That's a lot of driving almost 4 or 5 days total. just getting to each place you suggested. Can't help you with most of it but if you decide to go to Savannah then head north to the outer banks I would suggest going through Atlantic beach NC and heading to Cedar Island NC to catch the ferry to Ocracoke. There is a camp ground just before you get to the ferry . It will cost you $15 for the ferry and reservations are suggested.. There is camping on Ocracoke as well as on Hatteras Island . If you stay with NPS it will be cheaper then the Private camp ground but there are no hook ups and only cold showers.

You will find NPS camp grounds in Ocracoke, Frisco , Cape point and also at Oregon inlet .

Here are some sites that should help you too.

nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/ferryroutes/

http://www.clis.com/deg/drift2.htm

J G
Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: DC-Smoking mountain-Savannah-Outer banks road trip

thank you for the information!

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DC-Smoking mountain-Savannah-Outer banks road trip

I think Nashville is a different trip. And yes, skip Myrtle Beach unless you have a need to buy a lot of trinkets. Savannah is lovely though.

Mechanicsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DC-Smoking mountain-Savannah-Outer banks road trip

I’ve been to Nashville (5x), Savannah (4x), Charleston (2x), Myrtle Beach (1x) and the OBX (30+). Of all these locations, Savannah is by far my favorite – very friendly city with lots to do and see. Charleston is a beautiful city with lots of history, but is missing the “vibe” you get while in Savannah. Myrtle Beach – you’re from DC so picture Ocean City on steroids and 10x as crowded – I did not care for it at all. I’ve been going to the Outer Banks for 30+ years and love it - Nice beaches, smaller crowds, and friendly people. We rent a cottage for a week every year in either Nags Head or Southern Shores. The only hotel I’ve ever stayed at on the OBX is the Hilton Garden Inn – it was very nice.

In Savannah, don’t miss Ft. Pulaski or Bonaventure Cemetery. The first time we went we took a trolley tour and really enjoyed it – great way to get oriented to the city. Forsyth Park and the River Front are not to be missed. In Charleston, you’ve got to see Ft. Sumpter and take a tour of the historic area – the restored homes are beautiful.

My trips to Nashville were for both business and to see family, I had relatives living near Lebanon, TN. Nashville was great the first visit, but not so much for the second – fifth visits. I prefer Memphis over Nashville. I would make this a separate trip. On the map, Nashville doesn’t look that far away, but the interstate is almost entirely up & down mountains and eats up your time – almost as bad as WV.

Can’t offer an opinion on the Smokey Mountains – the closest I’ve ever come is Asheville, NC. Asheville is a great city and I recommend it. Hope this helps.

Atglen, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
21 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DC-Smoking mountain-Savannah-Outer banks road trip

What a fun trip! You may already be on the road, but I had to respond. My husband & I hit Charleston and Savannah on our way down to Disney World on our honeymoon. While Charleston was lovely, we just fell in love with Savannah....so much that we added another night there on our way home. If it still exists, stay at the River Street Inn, which is a boutique style Inn with balconies overlooking the river. Safe travels wherever you end up!

9. Re: DC-Smoking mountain-Savannah-Outer banks road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Nags Head