We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Impact of Beach Nourishment in May 2019 in Nags Head?

Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Impact of Beach Nourishment in May 2019 in Nags Head?

So, Husband wants to come to Outer Banks for his birthday, so we are booked in Nags Head from May 17-24. Those of you that have been through beach nourishment, is it a big deal? I assume that the whole beach won't be shut down for the whole time, correct? We are staying between mile 15 and 16, so kind of in the middle of the whole thing since it is running from mile 11 and 21.

Any advice, opinions, rants or criticism for booking something stupid will be welcomed.

Thanks!

Kristin

11 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
816 posts
1. Re: Impact of Beach Nourishment in May 2019 in Nags Head?

Check out More Beach To Love, here is a link with a video on the page.

https:/…beach-nourishment

The construction will be done a section at a time, and they move quickly as possible.

From the faq section:

"Will I be able to get to the beach while the project is underway?

Yes! If construction limits access directly in front of your property, you may need to enter the beach at an alternate beach access.

Sand ramps will be placed over a temporary pipeline at every public access and then in intervals of 300 feet, allowing people to get across and enjoy the beach seaward of the pipeline. There will be a wide beach after nourishment, giving people large areas seaward of the pipeline to enjoy. Or, you may take the opportunity to visit beaches throughout Dare County which offer public access outside of the immediate project area".

Last year when the nourishment was going on in Kitty Hawk, we drove up there to watch. I think the whole process is fascinating and I would pay to ride in the CRAB! CRAB = Coastal Research Amphibious Buggy

http://www.frf.usace.army.mil/crab.html

2. Re: Impact of Beach Nourishment in May 2019 in Nags Head?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 October 2018, 02:54
Edited: 15 October 2018, 02:54

Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Impact of Beach Nourishment in May 2019 in Nags Head?

THANK YOU both so much! You have made my week. Now on to figure out what to do while we are there.... the fun stuff! Thanks again, I deeply appreciate it.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,077 posts
136 reviews
4. Re: Impact of Beach Nourishment in May 2019 in Nags Head?

many people come here and decide to do nothing much at all. That is always an option and playing it by ear another. May is not a very good time to get in the ocean since the water can be chilly to cold still, but there are many things to see and do and walking the beach is always an option.

Outer Banks, North...
11 posts
5. Re: Impact of Beach Nourishment in May 2019 in Nags Head?

At this time they have no idea which end they will be staring on and so to say they are starting at MP 11 is very misleading. Read the updates that are posted on morebeachtolove.com for accurate information. They will not know the starting location, or the time frame until much closer to the beginning of the project. You may be impacted, but it is way too early to tell, and you will not have a real start date/place until right before the project begins.

6. Re: Impact of Beach Nourishment in May 2019 in Nags Head?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,077 posts
136 reviews
7. Re: Impact of Beach Nourishment in May 2019 in Nags Head?

A start and end location - yes. But as we all know from the 2011 and 2017 nourishments that it can and does start in the middle and works both north and south. The one thing they do not do is go from one end to the other. Now who is misleading people?? What franktravels21 said it totally true - it is too early to be able to predict ANYTHING yet. They might not even start until June.

8. Re: Impact of Beach Nourishment in May 2019 in Nags Head?

Edited: 15 October 2018, 02:54

MD
Level Contributor
838 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Impact of Beach Nourishment in May 2019 in Nags Head?

Given the wrong assumption I made, I sent a private message to Kristin to correct my error and deleted my posts so no one else will get the wrong information.

Who'd have thought my effort to assure someone that they won't be impacted by the project was wrong?

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
3,077 posts
136 reviews
10. Re: Impact of Beach Nourishment in May 2019 in Nags Head?

Who would have thought that all my posts in 2011 claiming that the nourishment project was started with no forewarning to rental management companies and that no notices of locations where work would be done, and when, was provided to anyone would have been said were all lies? Oh wait, that was you! At least now you see how no one really knows when anything will start or where it will be going on and when.

Edited: 18 October 2018, 17:22
Reply to: Impact of Beach Nourishment in May 2019 in Nags Head?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nags Head