We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Easter Weekend Trip

Knoxville, Tennessee
7 posts
Solo Easter Weekend Trip

I've planned a solo trip to OBX for Easter Weekend. I'm staying at the Comfort Inn on the Ocean in Kill Devil Hills (reward points!). Has anyone ever stayed there before? What did you think of it? Are there any restaurants, shops, or bars within walking distance?

What is the weather typically like at the end of March. I don't care about getting in the water, but I do like to walk on the beach.

With two full days in the area, what are the "must dos" for that time of year? I'd like to drive to Corolla one day to see the wild ponies and maybe stop at Kitty Hawk on the way back, but I don't really know what I want to plan as the main activity for the other day. Will there be any dolphin watch sails/cruises that early? Or another relaxing outdoorsy activity?

Thanks for your help! I haven't had a day off of work yet this year, so this is my reward to myself! I'd just like to unwind, take in some beautiful scenery, and breathe the ocean air for a couple of days. :)

Duck, North Carolina
Level Contributor
229 posts
1. Re: Solo Easter Weekend Trip

The wild horses are in the 4x4 area north of the town of Corolla. It will require driving on the beach in a four-wheel-drive vehicle to get to them. The wild horse museum in Corolla does have some domesticated (formerly wild) horses who stop by from time to time to meet visitors. If you're going to Corolla, you might want to see the lighthouse and the Whalehead Club too. Down south, Jockey's Ridge and the Wright Brothers National Memorial are interesting.

nc
Level Contributor
492 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Solo Easter Weekend Trip

The Comfort Inn is in a very central location of Kill Devil Hills - you can stroll right up Neptune Drive and over to Mama Kwan's for delicious food as well as a bar scene of sorts. Try the Thai money bags app and the Garbage Plate entree with fresh tuna.

Kill Devil Grill is a quarter mile to the south and Food Dudes is a little to the north - you can't go wrong either place. For more night life, I suggest the Outer Banks Brewing Station. Port O Call is another option, but I think it is a younger crowd - so that is your call. Both are about a mile to your north, so an easy walk or cheap cab ride.

The weather could be gorgeous or blowing 30 knots at that time of year, so pack accordingly. Quack covered several good attractions, so all I have to add is Jockey's Ridge. It's a huge sand dune with an amazing view from ocean to sound, and it's fun to run down once you get up there. Kitty Hawk and Nags Head are each just a few minutes from your hotel, so I would do Corolla one day, and then everything closer by on the other. Have fun!

Knoxville, Tennessee
7 posts
3. Re: Solo Easter Weekend Trip

Thanks, both of you! That is exactly the information I needed!

4. Re: Solo Easter Weekend Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Kill Devil Hills
Recent Conversations
More Kill Devil Hills Topics