We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants/things to do with a 18 month old?

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants/things to do with a 18 month old?

We are headed to Kill Devil Hills next week with our 18 month old. Just looking for some recommendations of fun-for-adult but kid friendly restaurants and things to do. Are there a lot of outdoor restaurants on the beach? Also, one of the days we'll be there isour anniversary so we'd like to go to a "nicer" place but understand the limitations with a little one.

Any other can't miss activities/events? I know we'll mostly be enjoying the beach, but don't want to miss out on other things.

Thanks so much! It is our first time heading to OBX and we are excited!

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants/things to do with a 18 month old?

For your nicer restaurant, I'd recommend the Colington Cafe which isn't far from KDH. The Kill Devil Grill is very good as well. A trip to the North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island might be fun for the little one.

nc
Level Contributor
492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants/things to do with a 18 month old?

I always recommend the Outer Banks Brewing Station as very kid-friendly yet also fun-for-adults :) There is a huge grassy back yard where your little one can run around while you relax with great food, beer and sometimes music (I think Thursdays?). It's also very close if you are in Kill Devil Hills.

Other restaurants with outside dining are Mulligan's in Nags Head - huge decks with ocean views - and Ocean Boulevard, which has a nice patio with full menu across from the ocean in Kitty Hawk. For super-family-friendly, try Fish Heads at the Outer Banks Pier in South Nags Head. Relaxed, good food, and unbeatable atmosphere.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants/things to do with a 18 month old?

Thanks so much for the recommendations!

Camden, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants/things to do with a 18 month old?

I'm right there with you on the kid friendly restaurant, we have a one and two year old. One that very much surprised my wife and I was Kelly's Resturant in Nags Head. We were not expecting the restaurant portion to be as up scale as it was when we ate there a month ago. The greeter to the waiter were very understanding and accommodating to having kids. I can not say enough good things about our experience there except go for yourself. Food was excellent, full meals start around $25 and dress would be dress casual.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
289 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants/things to do with a 18 month old?

As a what to do, definitely the acquarium. Your daughter will be able to touch rays and crabs and watch huge fish (sharks among others) swim in a huge tank.

As to where to eat, you might also consider Basnight's Lone Cedar with the huge decks and lots of geese around, which is also very kid friendly.

6. Re: Restaurants/things to do with a 18 month old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2013, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Kill Devil Hills
Recent Conversations
More Kill Devil Hills Topics