We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for "educational" places to see in Hot Springs area

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
803 posts
44 reviews
Looking for "educational" places to see in Hot Springs area

We planned a long Presidents weekend trip to Hot Springs and now the Wake County schools have taken that Monday as a "snow day" make-up day. As my oldest loses the chance to skip exams if she has an absence, we are going to attempt to get a "educational trip excused absence" and have her write a paper. (yes, she is willing!).

So, looking for ideas of historical places to visit in the area. I know there is a lot of history there, but am having trouble finding actual places to visit and learn about it.

Thoughts?

TIA!

5 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,002 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Looking for "educational" places to see in Hot Springs area

"I know there is a lot of history there"

What is it?

Write about it.

I have no idea.

A report on the Native Americans of the area?

The AT goes right through HS. A history of the AT?

I don't know of historical sites to visit.

Visit as many of these as possible -

http://www.ncmarkers.com/Home.aspx

What grade? Maybe bonus points for social studies and math by marking your route on a map and include distances traveled. 7 markers in the county. Write a 7 part report with a photo of each marker and do research to learn more about what's on the marker.

If you need more than 7, use markers along your route to and from.

Compare to how early settlers moved i.e. early routes.

Toss in a history of Hot Springs - the town and the springs.

Write about the German internment and compare to other events and/or interments during WWI.

Language Arts /writing

Interview five locals - including someone from the springs - and ask the same 10 questions of each and summarize what was learned. Ask about weather, temps, impact of tourism, etc.

Create a video or Powerpoint presentation and present to the teacher for a grade.

Best bet = Ask or research what objectives/ state standards are being covered at this time and commit to address 2 or 3 of those. You can find the list of standards on the web for state and/or district.

I'd propose an objective from math, social studies, reading/writing, research and do something that incorporates those. If you demonstrate that standards are being addressed, it would be harder for the school/teacher to say "no".

Don't propose "fluff" projects.

Edited: 30 January 2016, 00:30
NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
803 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Looking for "educational" places to see in Hot Springs area

She is a HS senior in an International Baccalaureate program. I am not proposing a fluff project(and the Principal likely wouldn't approve such) . I'm trying to salvage our family celebration of her fathers 50th birthday, which has been long planned. Having to take exams vs canceling a much anticipated family trip is hard for a kid. So we were just trying to think of another option. We had read on various sites about the history in the area, such as the German internment camp site, but hadn't found anything that says there are any small

Museums or historic sites, etc. we could just stop somewhere on the way back. But would like to learn more about this area, since we haven't been before. Thanks!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,731 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Looking for "educational" places to see in Hot Springs area

Here's a couple of links on the history of Hot Springs:

nchotsprings.com/nc-hot-springs-history/

http://hotspringsnc.org/about/history/

The Springs themselves would be a historic site you could visit. Alternately she could do a report on some of the geology of the area and what causes the springs to be hot, etc.

You could check out the Madison County Visitor's Center: http://www.visitmadisoncounty.com/contact/

The Rural Heritage Museum is on the Campus of Mars Hill College: http://www.mhu.edu/museum

Edited: 30 January 2016, 01:49
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,002 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Looking for "educational" places to see in Hot Springs area

"She is a HS senior in an International Baccalaureate program."

That's a rigorous program. It would have to be substantial.

"Having to take exams vs canceling a much anticipated family trip is hard for a kid"

I'd opt to stay home with a friend and skip the trip if that was the choice (if I were a kid).

I would start by doing some research on the IB standards and incorporate those in the proposed project.

If she were elementary grades, she could do a cross-curricular project. Are you proposing a project for each of her courses?

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: Looking for "educational" places to see in Hot Springs area

Three ideas worthy of an IB scholar:

Read Serena by Ron Rash, research the Great Flood of 1916 and take a drive from Hot Springs to Stackhouse and take some photos. After the reading and research, the drive and the visit will mean much more. Think and write about the factors that lead to the Great Flood of 1916, illustrate it with her photos.

Research The Shelton Laurel Massacre. Figure out the location and visit it. Take photos of the area. Write a story from the standpoint of a 17 year old girl living in Hot Springs on January 18, 1863, whose friends and family were somehow involved/ directly affected.

Research the history of the Hot Springs Hotel , read Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier , sit in the hot spring water, gaze out at the French Broad River rolling past and ponder how the tensions between Native Americans, land-grabbing opportunists, the railroads, the local Scots-Irish settlers and the rich folks from the flatlands who converged in this area have shaped local culture and how the Hot Springs Hotel may be a metaphor of the 19th and early 20th century history of this area. Write a short story set in the Hot Springs Hotel.

Edited: 02 February 2016, 23:18
Reply to: Looking for "educational" places to see in Hot Springs area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hot Springs