We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mini-vaca in July?

BeccaSmith_79
Level Contributor
59 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Mini-vaca in July?

I am thinking of doing a 5 night trip and extending my fourth of July weekend in the mountains...would that be too long in the litte town of Hot Springs?

We really enjoy camping, hiking, biking, kayaking, etc...and were thinking it would be nice to enjoy the springs as well.

However, would we run out of things to do over 5 days?

1 reply
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mini-vaca in July?

Hot Springs is a real nice small town. However, 5 days may be a bit much. I would stay near Asheville or Maggie Valley. Both are an easy 1 hour drive to Hot Springs.

If you decide to stay at Hot Springs there is a nice campground right out of town on highway 209. It has some hiking trails. The App. Trail goes right through downtown. A great hike and beautiful vista is Max Patch Bald. It is about a 45 minute drive from Hot Springs and an hour from Asheville.

The drive from I-40 to Hot Springs on highway 209 is one of the most beautiful in the southeast. You have beautiful mt. overlooks, small white churches, small tobacco farms with weathered barns. A mt. trout stream follows along much of the road. A good slice of southern living. Best part you may pass only 10 cars in the 33 mile drive.

Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Maggie Valley
Maggie Valley
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Max Patch
Max Patch
299 Reviews
Hot Springs, NC
Reply to: Mini-vaca in July?