We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can you hike to actual hot springs instead of tubs?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
can you hike to actual hot springs instead of tubs?

I'm interested in visiting Hot Springs, NC but would rather go to the actual hot spring instead of renting a hot tub. Is there a way/place to do that?

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
625 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: can you hike to actual hot springs instead of tubs?

No. The hot springs are in a grass field right by the main road, and I think have been totally piped in to the hot tubs. I don't think there are any springs to see.

hot springs, nc
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: can you hike to actual hot springs instead of tubs?

You used to be able to many years ago. I was once a vacationer, much like yourself, and have lived here since 1996. So to answer your question, no. There are no natural springs to soak in, rather the water is pumped from that location to where the tubs are. They original 8 are nothing fancy, about 4 to 5 jets per tub. I recommend tub 4 or 5. Five being the most private. There are about 8 newer tubs bordering Spring Creek with atleast one much larger than the others. The water typically is around 100-104 degress by the time it is pumped to the tubs. I believe I was told is comes out of the ground at around 108 but loses a few degrees in the distance it is pumped. This used to be a very exclusive resort back in the late 1880's through the first world war. There are some very interesting books which will show you how upscale this once was. Unfortunately, nothing really remains. The grounds are still beautiful and it is a far cry better than it once was when I first came here (1990). If you are expecting something very high end or luxurious this will not be the place for you. If you want something peaceful and relaxing and all natural than there is nothing like it on the east coast to my knowledge. Bring a cooler, towels and a change of close, reserve a tub around sunset or just there after, get there a little early and you shouldn't be disappointed. We go about once a month, excluding the summer months and it is great. If you have any other questions about Hot Springs, feel free to ask I will answer whatever questions you might have.

Enjoy

hot springs, nc
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: can you hike to actual hot springs instead of tubs?

You used to be able to many years ago. I was once a vacationer, much like yourself, and have lived here since 1996. So to answer your question, no. There are no natural springs to soak in, rather the water is pumped from that location to where the tubs are. They original 8 are nothing fancy, about 4 to 5 jets per tub. I recommend tub 4 or 5. Five being the most private. There are about 8 newer tubs bordering Spring Creek with atleast one much larger than the others. The water typically is around 100-104 degress by the time it is pumped to the tubs. I believe I was told is comes out of the ground at around 108 but loses a few degrees in the distance it is pumped. This used to be a very exclusive resort back in the late 1880's through the first world war. There are some very interesting books which will show you how upscale this once was. Unfortunately, nothing really remains. The grounds are still beautiful and it is a far cry better than it once was when I first came here (1990). If you are expecting something very high end or luxurious this will not be the place for you. If you want something peaceful and relaxing and all natural than there is nothing like it on the east coast to my knowledge. Bring a cooler, towels and a change of close, reserve a tub around sunset or just there after, get there a little early and you shouldn't be disappointed. We go about once a month, excluding the summer months and it is great. If you have any other questions about Hot Springs, feel free to ask I will answer whatever questions you might have.

Enjoy

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can you hike to actual hot springs instead of tubs?

Not quite hot spring swimming, but hikes+ swimming...

Double check all the listings; not always updated regularly, but great website...

http://www.swimmingholes.org/nc.html

5. Re: can you hike to actual hot springs instead of tubs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Hot Springs