We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in Outer Banks

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
121 posts
29 reviews
First Time in Outer Banks

I am looking for some advice about which village to choose for a June Outer Banks vacation. Here are my priorities:

1.) pet friendly beach--I would like to take my dog to the beach on a leash.

2.) walking or bike riding distance to the beach--how far is Soundside from the Oceanside?

3.) peace and quiet (not interested in night life or "theme park" type attractions)

4.) lightweight sporting (kayaking, fishing, boating for novices)

5.) historical or regional sightseeing

I am considering Ocracoke Island, Nags Head, Corolla or Hatteras Island.

Also, I am not familiar with the "Sound". Can you swim in the Sound? Are there alligators?

Thanks so much!

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: First Time in Outer Banks

I would recommend Corolla. It offers all the things you are looking for. We go there every summer and it is a great place to take your dog. My dog loves running in the water. I would recommend the Corolla Light neighborhood. It has alot to offer. You can check out their web site. There is a light house in Corolla and a small historic area with a wonderful tour of the Whalehead Museum. A new nature exhibit should be opened by now. It is a great place to spend a week. Corolla Light is a sound to ocean community. My guess is the ocean to sound is about 1/4 to 1/3 mile apart in Corolla Light (a short walk). Each neighborhood in Corolla is different. If you would like to rent I would recommend contacting brindleybeachvacations.com and ask for the reservations dept for rental advice. The only thing Corolla doesn't offer is great fishing opportunities. They are mostly offered in the Southern Outer Banks. As far at the sound it is mostly used for crabbing, which is great in Corolla. Corolla Light has a number of good spots on the sound or for water sports like wind surfing or jet skiing but not swimming. I love to walk along Corolla Lights nature walk along the sound front. Hope this helps.

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: First Time in Outer Banks

I forgot to mention in my reply to forget Nags Head. It is very built up and commercial and not very pretty.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
121 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: First Time in Outer Banks

rsmith,

Do you know if you need a 4 wheel drive for access to Corolla?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
20 posts
4. Re: First Time in Outer Banks

The town you are thinking of is Carova. No four wheel drive is needed to get to Corolla. Corolla is the very last town before the road ends. We vacation in Corolla Light every summer and it is wonderful. We stay on the soundside and try to stay in a different house every summer. The sunsets are to die for! There is a trolley that runs throughout the community in the summer that will take you to the oceanfront and to the fitness center. Check out their website www.corollalightresort.com.

paoli
1 post
1 review
5. Re: First Time in Outer Banks

We prefer Avon on Hatteras Island. Plenty of pet friendly cottages, you can drive on the beach in places, movie theatre & super market also in Avon. Plenty to see & do in the area. Close to the Hatteras Lighthouse, 20 Min from Ocracoke Island Ferry, Canadian Hole is on the soundside just south of Avon where there is plenty of windsurfing. Any more help e-mail me at TPettry@cavtel.net

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: First Time in Outer Banks

Are these places near cape fear? We want to stay a couple of nights and see the area. Would you recommend Orake Island rather than Cape Fear? WE are taking a coastal trip.

Thanks for any info. Coleridge

frederick, md
1 post
7. Re: First Time in Outer Banks

Out of the places your considering you would probably be most happy with Ocracoke, Corolla or Hatteras Island. Nags Head is fine, but it's the most crowded of the Outer Banks villages (along with Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills- which to me have all grown so much that they seem like one).

My preference would be Ocracoke or Hatteras Island. Part of this is because I go to Hatteras every year, thus I'm a little nostalgic. Also Hatteras, though it's grown a lot is still a lot more quiet than the "Northern Beaches," which are anything above Pea Island- this includes Corolla. I've heard nice things about Corolla, in fact very nice things, but it seems to be the most expensive of the villages, and caters more to the "wine and cheese" beach crowd. Hatteras just feels a lot more authentic to me, and has other bonuses in that all the villages on the island are surrounded by a park lands, thus there's miles of beach that you can have to yourself.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
121 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: First Time in Outer Banks

Thanks so much for the info. I think I would prefer Hatteras for a more authentic experience, rather than Corolla which did seem a little upscale for me.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: First Time in Outer Banks

Thanks for all the info. It is so helpful.

coleridge

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: First Time in Outer Banks

Hi this is Coleridge again. I have gotten plenty of info and now am confused. question : everything talks about renting houses. Would I be able to get a hotel or motel in Aug in any of these places?

We were thinking of two days at Hartteras or Ocracoke and two days at Corolla to be at the two ends. What does everyone think of this?(Both Questions,please.)

Also,we like quiet and dislike huge crowds but do like restaurants and other signs of life. If we stayed on O Island,would we be too cut off ? We would like to see the famous play too.

Finally,what about Wilmington,is it near any of these place s so we could see the gardens ?

thank you in advance for any and all info.

Get answers to your questions about Hatteras Island
More Hatteras Island Topics