We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on Franklin for A Day

Myersville, Maryland
Level Contributor
255 posts
5 reviews
Question on Franklin for A Day

My husband and I are traveling to Nashville for the week between Christmas and NYE. One of the days will plan on spending in Franklin. We would love to experience the small town culture. Any ideas of what to do/see for the day as well as perhaps a ride around through the mountains (a route to follow to see the waterfalls) and any recommendations on where to eat would be greatly appreciated. Open to all ideas.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,768 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Question on Franklin for A Day

Eat at Caffé Rel. Casual but wonderful French restaurant.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g49146-d60…

Franklin has a nice little downtown that you can wander for a few minutes and check out the shops.

If you are there on a Saturday, there's a nice little farmers' market in the mornings -

https:/…FranklinNCFarmersMarket

The drive to see waterfalls is from Franklin to Highlands -

www.romanticasheville.com/dry_falls.htm

Once you are in Highlands, wander that little downtown for a few minutes. Much more upscale shopping.

REALLY good food to eat there (limited seating) or to go in the upscale market -

www.mfgro.com/zutqwd2k5vemso9msodahy56vovt5y

Mountain Fresh Grocery and Wine Market

An alternate route back would be along the beautiful drive to Dillard GA and then back up 441 to Franklin.

If you want to stop for a few minutes in Dillard, there are antique stores there. The famous Dillard House restaurant is there = all you can eat, country Southern cooking. It's a bit pricey but very good. If you are driving "home" (not flying) stop at Cindy's Dragonfly and look at the metal yard art.

https:/…108435325912184

On the way back up 441, the Spring Ridge creamery is worth a stop for ice cream or fresh milk, cheese, butter, eggs, etc.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g49414-d22…

If you are interested in visiting a winery, the 12 Spies winery just south of Dillard is very good and very picturesque -

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g35204-d35…

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,768 posts
95 reviews
2. Re: Question on Franklin for A Day

Just noticed you said December. The farmers' market won't be open then.

For distance/ drive times, it's 20 miles from Franklin to Highlands.

The entire loop I described is 55 miles and 1.5 hours.

If you are willing to drive 19 more miles I have several more suggestions.

Myersville, Maryland
Level Contributor
255 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Question on Franklin for A Day

I am more than willing to drive. I want to experience the whole Franklin/Nashville area. Very excited for this trip and want to make the most of the time we have there.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,768 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Question on Franklin for A Day

"I want to experience the whole Franklin/Nashville area."

Uh-oh. Sounds like you mean Franklin, TN. You posted in the Franklin NC forum.

Franklin TN is about 20 miles from Nashville. Franklin NC is over 200 miles from Nashville.

Are you making a road trip and headed to the mountains of NC (and TN)? If not, disregard my suggestions.

Edited: 30 July 2015, 22:30
Myersville, Maryland
Level Contributor
255 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Question on Franklin for A Day

OOPS So very sorry. I truly meant Franklin, TN.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,768 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: Question on Franklin for A Day

"My husband and I are traveling to Nashville for the week between Christmas and NYE"

"... perhaps a ride around through the mountains (a route to follow to see the waterfalls)"

Not to knock Nashville, but why a week in Nashville?

Why not start in Nashville and then head to the mountains and see the pretty scenery, including waterfalls.

Go see the Biltmore decorated for the holidays, preferably a candlelight tour.

I've spend a lot of time in Nashville. I'd split the week = 2 days in Nashville, 5 days in the mountains of Asheville and area.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
154 reviews
7. Re: Question on Franklin for A Day

Cades Cove outside of Gatlinburg is a big tourist favorite. And, google to find it, but the road known as The Tail of The Dragon is a fun drive. Just watch out for the motorcycles.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,768 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Question on Franklin for A Day

I'm confused. You are suggesting Cades Cove and the Tail of the Dragon drive as a day's side trip from Franklin, TENNESSEE?!

In winter? When the sun sets early?

That's an ambitious day.

Edited: 12 November 2015, 18:13
9. Re: Question on Franklin for A Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2017, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Franklin