We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

L6898 Are you there?

naples fl
Level Contributor
251 posts
340 reviews
L6898 Are you there?

Seems you know and love the area. Thinking of buying property to build a second home. Would love a mountain view. Would you suggest I look around Murphy or Franklin. Both sound nice but need an opinion from someone who travels there. Thank you

Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
1. Re: L6898 Are you there?

mrfuni:

We had looked in Franklin and Murphy, but liked Murphy more so we ended up buying a place in Murphy, but you may want to check both areas out, they are about an hour apart, and a beautiful drive on Hwy 64 between the two. Franklin is a little more built up and a little more expensive in my opinion. There is a lot of land available in and around Murphy and you can still find land with those beautiful mountain views. Murphy is very popular, as is Franklin, but Murphy is #6 in the top 10 second-home markets in Forbes magazine per escapehomes.com as of February 2005, so that means prices will be rising. I know many people who have been going to Murphy and buying either a second home or land to build on, the secret is getting out!

Feel free to email me privately at L6898 (at) yahoo (dot) com. I can give you the name of the realtor we used if you want to start looking, I don't know if I can list her website here or not. She took good care of us, she is a buyer's agent, and was very honest and upfront when answering our questions and giving us her opinions, etc. Or, you can find a realtor online by going to the Murphy COC website. Also, check out homesandland.com for the N. GA/NC mountains, they have listings online for the entire area, including Murphy and Franklin.

I think whatever town you decide on, you will be happy. We love it there and plan to someday move there, but until then, we get to go on a lot more mountain vacations than we used to :)

Linda, St. Pete, FL

naples fl
Level Contributor
251 posts
340 reviews
2. Re: L6898 Are you there?

Thanks Linda..Will do my research before we visit in October. Appreciate your detailed reply.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
3 posts
103 reviews
3. Re: L6898 Are you there?

Hi,

Not sure if you will check this post again but here goes anyway.

I looked at both places as you are for a second home. We chose Franklin. We are from Atlanta. It is so convenient. Franklin is such a quaint, wonderful town. They have so much to do for the kids. It is so convenient for sking in Maggie Valley and close to Gatlinburg, Cherokee and wonderful hiking trails. I probably sound like I am from the Chamber of Commerce I speak so highly of Franklin. We found a reasonably priced home. It is much more impressive to say your home is in the mountains of NC than Georgia if you are from Atlanta. One of the biggest selling points though is the proximity to other places. If you are in Franklin in Oct. go to Pumpkin Fest. The pumpkin roll is a blast.

Get answers to your questions about Franklin