We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping

tennessee
4 posts
Save Topic
camping

any info on best place to camp in or near franklin nc. our teens have heard about gem mining and would like to know, is this a waste of time and money? or a fun outing? thanks

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: camping

Gem mining is fun. My sister has done some in Hiddenite, NC and found some nice pieces she has made into jewelry. You probably won't get rich, it's just a fun activity. Sorry I can't help you with camping - don't do much of that. Have fun.

smyrna, north...
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: camping

your teens might enjoy camping in the nantahala gorge area. it is renowned for white water rafting and horse back riding. i think there may even be some "mining" in the area. there is alot of waterfalls between there and franklin. check out the mountain waters scenic byway (? not sure about the name).

we rented a cabin in that area last summer. beautiful area!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: camping

There is camping in and around the Murphy/Nantahala River area, and it can be quite crowded in the summertime, but looks like fun. There is also a gem mine in Nantahala, plus numerous gem mines in the Franklin area. I'm sure it would be a fun outing if your kids have never visited a gem mine before, so I would go for it, but having a teen myself, I don't think she would be crazy to go to gem mine after gem mine after gem mine, and we are close to Nantahala so that's where I would take her. I plan on taking my little one (7 years old) to dig through a "fortified" bucket on our next trip up. Since your kids are teens, I would sure take them for a whitewater rafting trip right there on the Nantahala River, we are taking my teen daughter and her friend when we go up next week, they are very excited, and they will be on a guided trip for their first time, cost about $50 each, and I believe it is about a 4-hour rafting trip. We wil hang out along the river, have some food, watch the rafters, enjoy the beautiful outdoors, and the GSM Railroad goes right along the river on the other side. It's very nice and relaxing to watch the activity.

The mountain waters scenic byway is the road that runs along the river from north of Murphy up towards Bryson City. Very beautiful drive through canopies of trees and winding roads.

There is really a lot to do up there, feel free to contact me if you would like more info, as we have a place up there and go up every 3 months (going next weekend), and we still haven't done nearly everything that there is to offer. Your teens may like to spend a little time at the Cherokee Indian Reservation too to do some shopping, it is a little tacky, but the kids like it. There is also tubing at Deep Creek in Bryson City, something your teens would probably also enjoy, as well as horseback riding. There is just so many things to do, you will have to come back again and again and again :)

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Linda M., Murphy, NC/St. Pete, FL

L6898 (at) aol (dot) com

smyrna, north...
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: camping

The Mountain Waters Scenic Byway is a 61.3-mile drive that winds through southern Appalachian hardwood forest, two river gorges, and rural countryside. Traveling from Highlands to Almond the byway follows U.S. 64, old U.S. 64, SR 1310 (Wayah Road), and U.S. 19. Part of this nationally-recognized byway coincides with two State scenic routes. Much of the byway travels through the Nantahala National Forest.

I have taken this drive. Many waterfalls along the way-I am pretty sure it passes through Franklin.

tennessee
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: camping

thanks for all the great ideas, will have to go check out the area im sure they will have a great time. they love the out doors!

Get answers to your questions about Franklin