We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough beach at emerald isle

Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Topic
Rough beach at emerald isle

Just arrived for vacation at emerald isle. The beach is covered in broken shells. Literally covered. My grandchildren wanted so bad to play and it was cutting all of our feet. Worst beach I have been to in a long time. What gives?

8 replies to this topic
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,481 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough beach at emerald isle

Shells come out of the ocean just like leaves fall off trees? Many people love to go shelling looking for treasures and would be disappointed to not find shells on the beach. Can't fault the beach for that.

If it was rough rocks or something I'd be concerned about beach renourishment (aka dredging & pumping the sand back on the beach) being part of the problem, but shells are a natural phenomenon that most people welcome at the beach. Often shells are concentrated in one area so maybe take a walk down the strand and see if you can find an area with fewer shells if you really don't like it. Hope you can enjoy your vacation.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough beach at emerald isle

panchopup is correct. Just go a block down the beach if you don't like what's right in front of you. Remember it changes all the time.

There have been storms this fall. Maybe you saw them on the news. Beach treasures wash up based on those, currents and changing conditions.

Do your grandchildren have flip flops? That might keep their feet from being hurt.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough beach at emerald isle

In my long experience, it would be unusual if the broken shells covered the beach all the way to the low tide line. Did you, perhaps, go out at high tide?

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough beach at emerald isle

Thanks

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough beach at emerald isle

We bought the kids water shoes today. There were less broken shells today. But...the drop-off was scary. There was no gentle slope into the water. I've been to many beaches along the east coast and lived in Charleston. I just never encountered this many shells and dirty sand and the drop off. Maybe storms...I don't know.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough beach at emerald isle

Interesting you asked about tide. There isn't much difference here at high and low tide. I think there is erosion here. I don't know if Atlantic Beach would be better? We just came down for a quick look because we have job opportunities here. Morehead City specifically and looking at properties in New Bern or Minnesott Beach. We want to enjoy the ocean here but, this has just been our worst beach experience. Maybe it's just timing?

Mentioned in this post
Atlantic Beach
Atlantic Beach
North Carolina Coast, NC
Morehead City
Morehead City
North Carolina Coast, NC
New Bern
New Bern
North Carolina Coast, NC
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,481 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough beach at emerald isle

Could be some erosion following the storms this fall. Even if the storms don't hit right on the coast we can have high waves and some storm surge.

The beaches along the Crystal Coast and the OBX are nice, but they are very different from SC beaches. The Brunswick County NC beaches are very wide, fine sand, gentle slope and more like SC beaches. The Outer Banks are coarser yellower sand, wilder waves. The Crystal Coast is somewhere in between those, sand is a little coarser, not quite as fine and a little yellower. Topsail/Surf City is the turning point to me. There are lots of little flat rounded stones on the beach at Topsail (most about 50¢ piece size or a little larger). From Wrightsville and below is more like the SC beaches with the further south in the state you go the more like SC beaches it is.

Edited: 27 October 2017, 17:28
Mentioned in this post
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Topsail Island
Topsail Island
North Carolina Coast, NC
Surf City
Surf City
Topsail Island, NC
Wrightsville Beach
Wrightsville Beach
North Carolina
Dallas
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough beach at emerald isle

We were in Atlantic Beach in August. There was sand to about the high tide line, then a lot of shells. Back to sand after getting in the water a ways. However, that drop-off shelf was definitely there too. Makes for a bit of difficulty getting in/out of the water. Look for places where there are other families...they've probably already found the easier spots for going in.

Mentioned in this post
Atlantic Beach
Atlantic Beach
North Carolina Coast, NC
Reply to: Rough beach at emerald isle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Emerald Isle