We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting through owner vs rental company

Roselle Park, New...
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Renting through owner vs rental company

Is it a better deal to book through an owner such as through vrbo or airbnb compared to Bluewater or Emerald Isle Realty. We just came back and stayed in almost ocean front through Bluewater price was reasonable but would like to book an oceanfront next year. What is the usual rate for August I seem to have gotten two different answers from EIR when I had inquired yesterday and then spoke to someone else today. I was quoted $2300 for one of the oceanfront houses yesterday today spoke to someone else and a different story. Are these rental companies making a big profit off of the rentals. I did see a few on vrbo and air bob which was under the $3000 total range. Only bad thing some want a big deposit or full amount up front. I like to book very soon as I do every trip I take. What is your experience with this

5 replies to this topic
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting through owner vs rental company

Local rental companies do charge hefty fees, as do Airbnb, and more recently VRBO, Homeaway, and other large national vacation rental advertising websites. Many homeowners who've been on VRBO/Homeaway for years are leaving these sites due to all the new fees to renters and to homeowners, plus many other negative changes implemented on those sites over the past year, and are on now advertising their homes on Facebook, and newer regional, no-fees-to-renters websites. For NC one of the best new vacation rentals from homeowners' websites is https://www.carolinavacationhomerentals.com/ You can also Google search the name of the home, or copy/paste some of the info written about the home and search that, and often you can find a homeowners' own website, and/or a Facebook page for the home. That way you can have full, first person contact and communication with the homeowner, while saving money by not paying all those greedy, unnecessary fees. Those fees do not give you any additional protection, they are just lining some executive's pockets!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,139 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting through owner vs rental company

When I was looking for a place at the beach recenty I first looked on vrbo and homeaway, then I went to look at a couple of rental agencies. Some, many, of the same condos/homes were listed in both places. I ended up renting thru the rental agency and had a good experience. But...I have used vrbo a couple of times many years ago with no issues.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting through owner vs rental company

The problem is that VRBO and Homeaway are not the same companies that they were years ago, or even a year+ ago. They've been purchased by Expedia, and have changed most everything about their businesses. There are now service fees charged to renters of up to 15% of the total rental costs, new fees and ridiculous restrictions on homeowners, plus now they are in the process of hiding all identifying property info, and contact info of homeowners on their sites, and also hiding names/contact info of inquirers to homeowners. So you can't really know who you are renting from, or know identifying info about the vacation rental, And the homeowner can't know who they are renting to! ..until you've paid 100%! Ridiculous! There are numerous lawsuits against VRBO/Homeaway working their way through the courts, and a quick search for reviews of VRBO and Homeaway will get you many very poor reviews, from both renters and homeowners. https:/…vrbo.html Again, please know that these are not the same companies we all knew and loved to use, just a few years ago!

Thankfully there are new, and better choices coming online. CarolinaVacationHomeRentals verifies all homeowners/properties, and operates it's site like VRBO used to, years ago. Full communication with homeowners, and no fees to renters! Additionally, if you need a vacation rental outside of NC/SC, other similar regional direct from homeowners' sites throughout the country have recently joined forces. http://www.vacationrentalbyowner.net/

Speaking as a 20+ years vacation rental homeowner, I now have no use for VRBO, Homeaway, Airbnb, etc. or local property management companies, either. These local companies are often so large they don't provide the best service(to homeowners or renters), particularly in housekeeping, their crews just hit the high spots, and damage is rarely reported to owners', nor is it repaired/replaced. Their fees to both renters and homeowners are excessive and growing each year.

The best, and also the most economical choice is to deal directly with homeowners, outside of the large, hefty-fee'd advertising websites. Please pass the word!!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
16 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting through owner vs rental company

Please understand my response is not a plug for any particular site...

I've rented using Homeaway for 9+ years and just recently rented 2 homes (domestic and international) thru them with no issues or extraordinary fees.

We have also just returned from EI having rented beachfront from EI Realty ($2000/week, single home).

Thankfully all recent experiences have been enjoyable.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting through owner vs rental company

Whatever you do- DONT use Bluewater Realty company. I have had another bad experience with them recently. Their property was completely represented and they don't stand behind their business. The Pictures on their website were very old and the house was in a terrible state of disrepair. It was a 2 week rental and fortunately they let me move but after several discussions about compensation during the second week, they told us as we were driving home that all they could offer was 10-13% off a future rental. They don't stand behind their properties and blame it on the owner.

Reply to: Renting through owner vs rental company
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Emerald Isle
Recent Conversations