We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling from NJ

NJ
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
traveling from NJ

Checking in on Saturday in August.

Suggestions/travel tips for arrival and departure

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling from NJ

Get on the Island Early like before 10 am to avoid heavy traffic and the same leaving .

There are plenty of things to do and see arriving early. to kill time

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling from NJ

The advice above is the best...get here early, and especially if you are staying north in Duck or Corolla area. Traffic is bad on Saturday, and if you are staying north there is only 1 road up and it is 1 lane each way. If you can get here early, and do the grocery shop then you'll be way ahead of the game. Grocery stores on Sat and Sun are mobbed, and can take a long time to get through. If the car is packed, and you can't fit the groceries in, then just relax, and have a good lunch until check-in. I would try to get to the store as early as possible after check-in. You can always call the rental agency and see if your home is ready early. If so, they should let you check-in, and then you're set for the day!

Where are you staying? I ask this as people here may be able to provide additional info, or suggest some places to go for lunch or shopping that are close to your rental company, etc.

NJ
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling from NJ

Ocean HIll/Corolla

New Jersey
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling from NJ

Which week are you going? We go down the third and fourth week every August and the traffic is never really terrible. We leave Jersey around 6am and cross the bridge around 2pm (we stop alot.....too many kids!). Corolla is around an hour or so north once you cross the bridge. The beginning of August is a bit more crowded though. All depends when you are going. Enjoy your trip!

Cheryl

NJ
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling from NJ

we are going August 7th

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
432 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling from NJ

Make sure to take Rt 13, not 95! You can stay Friday night in Chesapeake...there are plenty of motels, which will help you get there by 10 or 11. As an fyi, that is one of the busiest weeks of the summer.

Edited: 03 March 2010, 21:45
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling from NJ

take 95 to 495 around Wilmington to Route 1 south(toll) (Map quest) Do not go to DC! Chesapeake Bay bridge toll $10 last year. (7 hrs from Philadelphia)

12. US-13 S / DE-1 S (Portions toll). 34.8 mi Map | Avoid

13. Merge onto US-13 S via EXIT 97 toward SALISBURY/NORFOLK (Crossing into MARYLAND). 53.9 mi Map | Avoid

14. Merge onto US-13 S toward NORFOLK/OCEAN CITY (Crossing into VIRGINIA). 63.5 mi Map | Avoid

15. US-13 S becomes CHARLES M LANKFORD JR MEMORIAL HWY/LANKFORD HWY (Portions toll). 44.5 mi Map | Avoid

16. CHARLES M LANKFORD JR MEMORIAL HWY/LANKFORD HWY becomes US-13 S. 22.9 mi Map | Avoid

17. Merge onto I-64 E/HAMPTON ROADS BELT toward DOWNTOWN NORFOLK/CHESAPEAKE/SUFFOLK. 10.3 mi Map | Avoid

18. Merge onto I-464 S/MARTIN LUTHER KING JR MEMORIAL HWY via EXIT 291B toward US-17 S/ELIZABETH CITY/VA-168-TOLL S/OUTER BANKS. 0.5 mi Map | Avoid

19. Take the US-168 S exit on the LEFT toward NAGS HEAD/MANTEO. 0.4 mi Map | Avoid

20. Merge onto VA-168 S (Portions toll) (Crossing into NORTH CAROLINA). 34.0 mi Map | Avoid

21. VA-168 S becomes US-158 E. 29.1 mi Map | Avoid

22. Turn LEFT. 0.1 mi Map | Avoid

23. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto NC-12/OCEAN BLVD. Continue to follow NC-12.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling from NJ

Also, stop at Duck Deli to get lunch and take it to the beach until your house is ready!

Long Island
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: traveling from NJ

We are coming from NY the week of July 10. I guess we should leave on Friday to check in by 4:00pm? We thought leaving around 4:00am would get us into town at about the right time but maybe we should be leaving earlier than that.

NJ
Level Contributor
109 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: traveling from NJ

Hi,

Great posts we are having a family reunion the last week of June this year 1/2 are coming from NJ the other 1/2 are coming from FLA. Are rental is a Sunday to Sunday is the traffic just as bad on Sunday as it is Saturday? Should we plan on getting on the island early as well?

We are staying in Corolla and this is my 2nd time to OBX but the 1st for everyone else to OBX and my first time during peak season .

Thanks Much!