We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Change Times

Michigan
Level Contributor
409 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Change Times

We are considering a flight from Paris to Charlotte on American Airlines. We would have to go through immigration, claim our luggage, re check it in for our next flight, (I think) and then check in for our next flight to Detroit also on AA. The connection time is 2:15. Is this doable. It would be on a Wednesday in April and we would be in business class. The flight is offered by AA. Any info/advice is welcome.

6 replies to this topic
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Change Times

I personally would not chance it. Why can you not check your luggage all the way through?

This would require going through customs and then starting the entire process all over again. If you are on 2 separate airlines, and they have baggage agreements, you can show both tickets and check your baggage through to Paris. Have you checked with AA?

There are some days Charlotte Airport manages well and others, it can be slow.

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
679 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Change Times

Frankly, we have never entered the US through Charlotte. However, while taking numerous flights to North Carolina and Florida from Pennsylvania, we try to avoid transfers at the Charlotte airport whenever possible. It always seems the gates are super far apart, planes arrive or depart late, baggage gets lost, etc. Have spent more time trying to get out of that airport than any other. If you must fly into Charlotte, leave yourself lots of time and bring your patience.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Change Times

Since both flights are on AA I'm assuming this is all on one ticket.

2:15 is doable although I prefer 3 hours returning through CLT from an international flight.

You should get both boarding passes at CDG and your luggage will be checked through to Detroit although you'll still need to collect it in CLT and take it through customs. After customs you will hand it to an attendant, go through security, and proceed to your next gate. No need to check in again...assuming again that this is all on one ticket.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,116 posts
3,231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Change Times

Doable? Possibly

Stressful? Very

Many variables are out of your control

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
631 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Change Times

The good news is that CLT is pretty user friendly. The bad news is that as others have mentioned, there are gobs of random variables that could bite you. If you could arrange for a longer time in CLT to change planes, ergo take a later flight, I would try. If you cannot, then I would suggest you buy a good travel insurance policy from Allianz. I have significant experience with them and unfortunately American. Allianz has saved me mega bucks when things related to weather and ground issues prevented connections, especially to/from Europe. Hopefully the GOVT Jockeys will have customs fully staffed. We have had the experience of all but 2 stations open several times. Good luck.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Change Times

I don't think you really have enough time. Several overseas flights arrive close together and it can take sometime to get through immigration (unless you have a Global Entry card). I'd want 3-5 hours to give a good buffer. Fights are often late landing and you don't want to miss your next flight.

Reply to: Airport Change Times
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted