We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

A M
Oak Ridge, North...
Level Contributor
511 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

I will be heading to CLT for an international flight scheduled to depart at 6:45pm this coming Sunday (3 Dec.). I've read some of the recent threads regarding traffic around Charlotte. I know this kind of thing can change based on day/time/accidents, etc. Google maps shows the route taking between 1 hour 30 minutes (hwy 85 South all the way) up to 2 hours. I've also read there is a lot of highway construction going on all around Charlotte.

So, I plan to depart Greensboro at 1:15pm. Hoping this will have me inside the airport by 3:30pm.

Can anyone advise if this is as good a route/plan as any? Is construction taking place on hwy 85 around Charlotte? Do they work on Sundays?

Any advice from those familiar with the area would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

18 replies to this topic
A M
Oak Ridge, North...
Level Contributor
511 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

Thanks panchopup. That is the plan. We'll leave at 1:15pm. Int'l flight is scheduled to depart at 6:47pm, so I cannot imagine I would not arrive approximately 3 hours prior to departure (likely earlier); leaving me plenty of time.

I hate that international flights out of Greensboro are silly prices. In this case the price out of GSO was $1500. The flight out of CLT was $458... You see the reasoning.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

Wow, $458 is a great price! Where are you going?

We drove up to Dulles in DC a couple of summers ago because flights to London were $750 instead of $1300 out of RDU!

A M
Oak Ridge, North...
Level Contributor
511 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

Going to visit my daughter, who is in a Master's Degree program in Paris.

When daughter went to study a semester abroad in Cape Town, South Africa, the flight out of Greensboro was $3000 (flights to S.A. don't come cheap). We got a flight out of RDU for $1500 !

We always check prices out of GSO, RDU and CLT, in that order. It is a RARE, RARE occurrence that GSO is anywhere near the prices out of RDU or CLT.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

$458 is awesome. Is is direct? I'm jealous now...

A M
Oak Ridge, North...
Level Contributor
511 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

No, I have to stop in Atlanta, then on to CDG.

I've done the D.C. to CDG flight many times. I stay in France for a long enough time that I am not willing to leave my car parked at the D.C. airport, so I still fly from GSO to D.C. (when the price is right).

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

My sis lives near Dulles so it worked out well for us to just leave our van at her house.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

If traffic is bad, Waze will usually throw you on 29 and put you back on 85 around exit 55. There are plenty of lights on that route, but it’s not a busy highway so the traffic moves.

85 backs up often at exit 68, but it’s usually a short wait. You have an occasional issue (like last Wednesday when it took me a solid hour to move about 5 miles through the construction zone...that’ll teach me to be talking on the phone and not watch my Waze alerts) but I’d be surprised if you had any issues on a Sunday. Afternoon rush hour during the week is the worst.

A M
Oak Ridge, North...
Level Contributor
511 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

Thank you!

Reply to: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Charlotte
Recent Conversations