We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

A M
Oak Ridge, North...
Level Contributor
478 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

I will be heading to CLT for an international flight scheduled to depart at 6:45pm this coming Sunday (3 Dec.). I've read some of the recent threads regarding traffic around Charlotte. I know this kind of thing can change based on day/time/accidents, etc. Google maps shows the route taking between 1 hour 30 minutes (hwy 85 South all the way) up to 2 hours. I've also read there is a lot of highway construction going on all around Charlotte.

So, I plan to depart Greensboro at 1:15pm. Hoping this will have me inside the airport by 3:30pm.

Can anyone advise if this is as good a route/plan as any? Is construction taking place on hwy 85 around Charlotte? Do they work on Sundays?

Any advice from those familiar with the area would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

18 replies to this topic
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,214 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

Yes there is construction on I-85. There's always construction! One day I suppose they will finish it, but until then we'll just have to suffer through.

You can check the DOT's page at : tims.ncdot.gov/tims/RegionSummary.aspx?re=4

I think 2 hours sounds reasonable for a drive time. Is it a domestic or international flight?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,872 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

OP said international flight. I think the time frame will be ok.

A M
Oak Ridge, North...
Level Contributor
478 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

Thank you both. So they even work on Sundays. Wow, that's a rare thing around these parts.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
937 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

Construction starts at exit 68 and runs down to exit 55. It can occasionally back up and turn into a very, very slow crawl. If so, take exit 68 and bypass all of the construction, you can get back on 85 right where the construction ends.

The Waze app is a life saver and one you should absolutely look at getting; its free and will save you hours.

I drive Greensboro to Charlotte multiple times per week and have for years.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
669 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

You are giving yourself more than enough time.

A M
Oak Ridge, North...
Level Contributor
478 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

Thank you for the reassurance.

A M
Oak Ridge, North...
Level Contributor
478 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

Thanks Freehike. I'll get the Waze app. Looking at maps, if construction has caused a back up near exit 68, we could exit and take hwy 29 (cannon blvd) all the way down to passing under hwy 85 where cannon turns into Concord Pkwy. Take Concord Pkwy a short distance to 73 and follow 73 back up to enter hwy 85 at exit 55. I cannot imagine this being faster as there must be a million lights.

Does waze give any indication how long/far a traffic back up can be? I'd hate to exit 85 at #68 if the traffic clears up at exit 65, etc.

Do you really think the alternate route is better during a back up?

I've looked at google maps for the trip right now (Tues. 8h00 rush hour) and the area just south of exit 68 is bright red all the way down to exit 63 with several accidents noted. So, I see the issue and I'm confident the back up could be worse than google shows. Just hard to imagine it being this way on a Sunday afternoon..

NC
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

Well, for some reason, we always get stuck on our way down to Charlotte every time we go see our daughter (she goes to UNC-Charlotte). It should only take us 1 hr 10 min to get to the college from our house, but we never make it in less than 1 1/2 hrs. The traffic will back up after you go through Salisbury and it goes down to 2 lanes. Urh!!!

Also, I will add that Sundays are no better. We always come back on Sundays and we just came back from Charleston, SC, this past Sunday and 85 South was backed up for miles!

Taking 29 down would only be faster if there is a big accident and traffic has completely stopped. I would avoid 29 because, yes, there are tons of lights! Definitely not a faster route.

A M
Oak Ridge, North...
Level Contributor
478 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

Thank you Jenn. Your advice makes sense. Just when looking at the map, I could not see a better way to exit at #68 and pick 85 back up at entrance #55 than hwy 29. Maybe Freehike has a better suggestion.

If it means just sitting in traffic for half an hour, perhaps that is better than the route I was looking at.

How annoying if you have to live around this mess all the time.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,214 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT

You could just pad your travel time a little bit if you're worried about it, but I think 2 hours is generous from Oak Ridge. We live in Chapel Hill and grandma is in Charlotte so we go up and down 85 quite a bit too. It's always yucky (also yucky around Greensboro for some reason the last several times), but it does move eventually. You don't really get stuck for hours or anything. It's more like 15 or 20 minutes. Enough time to be really annoying, but not so much to make you late for your plane if you've budgeted 2 hours. Make it 2.5 hours if it would help you feel more comfortable and bring a good book to read in the airport.

Reply to: Travel time from Greensboro to CLT
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted