We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charlotte neighbourhoods

NB Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Charlotte neighbourhoods

I am planning to visit Charlotte in April to watch my grandson play hockey in a national tourney. Having done such trips in the past, my friend and I usually prolong the visit and do some exploring in the area we are visiting, so we are thinking of close to two weeks (coming from cold Canada!!)

We have been looking at some well reviewed rental properties which offer various benefits. Can anyone provide some insight on neighbourhoods. One property is between South Park and Dilworth, near the Lightrail. The other is a larger but more rural property in a neighbourhood called Stonehaven. How 'rural' would the latter be? Are both of these neighbourhoods considered relatively safe for two women travelling alone?

Finally, we would welcome suggestions for day trips from Charlotte. We will have a rental car.

Thanks for any and all comments.

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
4 replies to this topic
SE USA
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Charlotte neighbourhoods

Regarding location of rental properties, the area between Southpark and Dilworth is generally nice, near many restaurants, shops, etc. but there are some less nice areas nearby. I assume if the property has good reviews, its in the nicer area. Stonehaven is a neighborhood in suburban Charlotte; certainly not rural at all. Its a good location too.

I encourage you to not spend two weeks in Charlotte. Don't get me wrong; Charlotte is a nice city but not enough to entertain you for two weeks. Take a few days and go to Charleston SC. It will be beautiful that time of year. Historic city and beaches nearby.

Mentioned in this post
SouthPark
SouthPark
195 Reviews
Charlotte, NC
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charlotte neighbourhoods

I agree with the above about not spending a lot of time in Charlotte. Maybe a trip west to Asheville..about a 2 hour drive. Or head east about 3.5 hours to Wilmington. (with the ocean only about 10 miles away).

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
NC
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charlotte neighbourhoods

I agree, 2 weeks is way too much time to stay in Charlotte. Great suggestions for other smaller trips as well.

Charlotte is a very busy metropolitan city. They have things to do, but not 2 weeks worth. If you like shopping, Concord Mills in Concord (just north of Charlotte) is a nice mall. Nascar fans come to see the track (also in Concord) and the Hall of Fame (downtown Charlotte). Lots of restaurants and places to hang out, but I would not recommend anyone to visit and stay just in Charlotte for 2 weeks.

If you like the mountains, definitely head to Asheville. If you like beaches, Wilmington is a good choice. History and beautiful architecture? Charleston is the place to go for that. All recommended above. I 2nd all of these choices.

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Concord
Concord
North Carolina
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
NB Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charlotte neighbourhoods

Thank you all for your input! It is most helpful for our planning!

Reply to: Charlotte neighbourhoods
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted