We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clearing customs at Charlotte Airport

Ohio
5 posts
clearing customs at Charlotte Airport

We are flying from Jamaica to Dayton Ohio on Sunday, April 2, 2017. We are due to clear customs in Charlotte, flying American Airlines. Arriving at 4:40 and due to connect at 5:54. Is this cutting it too close to clear customs? Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: clearing customs at Charlotte Airport

It's too close to clear immigration, collect your luggage and clear customs.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
167 reviews
2. Re: clearing customs at Charlotte Airport

I have to agree with the first poster. While Charlotte is a very 'walkable' airport and you can get from one concourse to another easily (12-15 min. easy walk), you are going to be arriving when several other international flights arrive. First you have to deplane- that can take 10 min. or more sometimes. The large flights from London and Frankfurt will be arriving around the same time so that will mean that you'll need to allow art least 1 hour just for immigration and customs (at the least), then another 15-30 min. to get your luggage and get to your gate. Remember that doors close for the outgoing flight about 5-10 min. PRIOR to take off time. AND all of that assumes you land on time. So you will want a departure time AFTER 7:00, preferable after 7:30 or 8:00pm. You might need to plan on staying one night in Charlotte.

Ohio
5 posts
3. Re: clearing customs at Charlotte Airport

thanks!

Ohio
5 posts
4. Re: clearing customs at Charlotte Airport

Thank you! Not sure why american would offer/book a flight like this when it's obviously going to be a problem. I appreciate the information. I'll make some changes.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: clearing customs at Charlotte Airport

Hi, not sure what is meant by it being too close to clear immigration, just grab your bags and clear customs. Don't you have to go thru immigration as well?

We're arriving from Grand Cayman at 6:38 pm and departure time of 8:15 pm. I suspect that's going to be cutting it close? We're preparing to miss our connection and fly out the next day....but we'll give it our best shot.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
706 posts
264 reviews
6. Re: clearing customs at Charlotte Airport

Yes, it is too tight of a connection. Welcome to the New American Airlines. Big airport, long way between connecting concourses, and you are at the staffing whim of Customs/Immigration. Not unusual for 4/5 of the agents to be off at any given time. Call the folks at American and have them change the flights, raise heck, don't take no for answer, and purchase travel insurance to protect yourself. One blip in CLT and you're messed up. Forget that the boards say on time. Last 3 times we flew American, we were over an hour late out of Charlotte and they did not change "on time" until the flights were 30+ minutes late. Additionally, check the boards, they did not announce gate changes 2 out 3 trips and each time we were at the gate 1 1/2 hours early. Good luck.

7. Re: clearing customs at Charlotte Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 October 2017, 21:05

Irwin, pa
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: clearing customs at Charlotte Airport

Anytime I fly thru Charlotte I allow a 3 hour minimum to clear thru Customs etc. Its a nice airport with some good restraurants TSA precheck saved us many times form missing connecting flights

London, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
9. Re: clearing customs at Charlotte Airport

Hi, appreciate if you can let me know your flight experience/ customs experience as we are doing through the same thing shortly and getting bit worried about our connection.

Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,748 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: clearing customs at Charlotte Airport

"let me know your flight experience/ customs experience"

It doesn't really matter what anybody's previous experience was, only what's happening whenever you arrive.

You could talk to 100 people who made it in under an hour, and then you turn up and everything is backed up. There's obviously no way to predict what will happen on a particular day which is why people are recommending 3 hours, etc.

If your flights are already booked then your only option is to hope for the best and make sure you have a contingency plan.

-JimG

Reply to: clearing customs at Charlotte Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted