We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Carolina Beach For Us?

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
240 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Is Carolina Beach For Us?

We're looking to rent a house on a NC beach. We've loved Wrightsville Beach in the past but can't find a house big enough (needs to sleep 14 comfortably!). We've found some homes that could work in Carolina Beach but I'm getting a little scared off by the posts that its run down, etc. Specifically we're looking at Sandstep Retreat.

We have 4 families...we want a nice beach house, some good restaurants (doesn't have to be fine dining, but we want good food/seafood), maybe a little shopping??? Is Carolina Beach for us? And if not, where else should we look? I feel like I'm spinning my wheels!

Mentioned in this post
Wrightsville Beach
Wrightsville Beach
North Carolina
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Carolina Beach For Us?

Look on Topsail Island. There are a lot of nice, large homes, especially to the northern part of the island (I prefer the south, but regardless, whole island is nice.)

There are fewer dining and shopping options, but you can find a good place to go out to eat. We like to buy fresh seafood and cook at home.

Mentioned in this post
Topsail Island
Topsail Island
897 Reviews
Topsail Island, NC
Park City, UT
Level Contributor
240 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Carolina Beach For Us?

I've been told to stay away from northern Topsail...but that south is good...have you been to Carolina Beach? What do you think of it?

Mentioned in this post
Topsail Island
Topsail Island
North Carolina Coast, NC
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Carolina Beach For Us?

For what reason were you told to stay away from Northern Topsail? The only things that I can think of that are negatives would be a) narrow beach, and that would apply really to the VERY north and b) that there is not much nearby in the way of shops. There are a lot of areas of Topsail that people call North Topsail, but are really just north of Surf City.

Otherwise, if you find a home you are interested in there, don't discount it 100%.

I have been to Carolina Beach, yes. Never stayed there, and it has been a long time. It is true that some people say that it seems "run down", but it is more like a once-bustling beach town that had its hey-day but is now experiencing a rennaissance. I would label it "Vintage" more than run-down. But again, I am no expert-and it has been probably 6 or 7 years since I have been through there.

Mentioned in this post
Topsail Island
Topsail Island
North Carolina Coast, NC
North Topsail Beach
North Topsail Beach
Topsail Island, NC
Surf City
Surf City
Topsail Island, NC
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,701 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Carolina Beach For Us?

Carolina Beach is wonderful. Laid back, quirky little beach town.

Not for everyone. You might find a large house by checking out www.vrbo.com

There are a lot of threads on here about carolina beach. I will bump them up for you.

GIve it a try!

Mentioned in this post
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Carolina Beach For Us?

I have been to Carolina Beach once and did not like it. I too like Wrightsville Beach and CB is not even close. I feel CB is run down and very honky tonk. I found the beach itself to be sloped and narrow, compared again to Wrightsville. Be sure to check out all the travelers photos and judge for yourself. For the last 4 years we have gone to Ocean Isle Beach. I like it better than Wrightsville Beach. The beach is wide and flat, with tons of shells and sharks teeth. It is also not very crowed in July or August. The island has two hotels with only 70 rooms and then only condos and houses. It is only about 23 minutes from North Myrtle Beach. Close enough for shopping and eating out, but far enough from all the crowds.

Mentioned in this post
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Wrightsville Beach
Wrightsville Beach
North Carolina
Ocean Isle Beach
Ocean Isle Beach
North Carolina
North Myrtle Beach
North Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
6. Re: Is Carolina Beach For Us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2010, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Carolina Beach
Recent Conversations
More Carolina Beach Topics