We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report if anyone is interested. :) Just returned !

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
260 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report if anyone is interested. :) Just returned !

We visited Carolina Beach, NC for the first time ever from May 7, 2008 to May 9, 2008.

We loved it ! We stayed at the Golden Sands Motel. What a nice place. We did not get to stay in the new "tower" building because a school had it booked but the older building was fine with us. We were on the 4th floor.

The desk people were nice. The Amaretto Sours were awesome at the Tiki bar. The kids had fun in the indoor pool (a little cold for the outdoor pool).I loved the layout of the split-room and it slept the 5 of us comfortablly. My mom was with us as well as my husband and 2 kids. (bathroom issues did arise, but hey there were 5 of us fighting for the one bathroom).

We found lots of shells on the beach and even though the ocean was still a little cool, we waded in it tons.

We visited the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher, Fort Fisher monument, rode the ferry to Southport, and on our last day we visited Wilmington, NC to see the USS NC battleship. Everything was reasonably priced as far as admission and we enjoyed all of it tremendously.

We ate at a great little hotdog/hamburger place right up from our hotel and I *think* the name of it was "Pop's". The guy running it was SO nice and everything was good. I recommend their meatloaf sandwich with mustard ! Yes you heard me right...meatloaf sandwich ( I am a southern gal !).Both me and my mother loved it.

My 2 and 8 year olds had so much fun on this trip. I wish we could have stayed longer.

We will definately be back again. I am sure there is lots more to explore/see/do --we just ran out of time !

Mentioned in this post
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Golden Sands
Golden Sands
452 Reviews
Carolina Beach, NC
Southport
Southport
North Carolina Coast, NC
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
Carolina Beach
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip report if anyone is interested. :) Just returned !

wanwesty, here are some recent photos from the boardwalk area:

carolinabeachtoday.com/2008/06/carolina-beac…

Also, if you go to the bottom of the main page, there is a collection of youtube videos (Island Videos) from Pleasure Island (Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Fort Fisher). There is also a listing of some blog posts from visitors.

http://www.carolinabeachtoday.com/

I hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Kure Beach
Kure Beach
North Carolina Coast, NC
Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
260 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip report if anyone is interested. :) Just returned !

Hey there, it's 10ecmom again....

Just wanted to say that we plan on going back to Carolina Beach again this year ! We loved it that much. We will probablly stay at Golden Sands again.

It's January and I am thinking fondly of our kids playing on the wide beach and all the fun we had.

Does anyone know how crowded it would be in June ? I really dislike overly crowded beaches.

When we went last year in early May we basically had the whole place to ourselves.

Mentioned in this post
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Golden Sands
Golden Sands
452 Reviews
Carolina Beach, NC
Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trip report if anyone is interested. :) Just returned !

Hi Tennessee Mom! Glad to hear you're returning to the NC coast. To address your question, I don't think you need to worry about crowds. Carolina Beach is never really crowded in my opinion, at least compared to most other beaches. Even at its most crowded times, I think you'd find it to be pleasant and lots of fun. Of course, you'll want to make your reservations as soon as possible as places do begin filling up in June. The first week in June is usually good because most schools are still in session then.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,962 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trip report if anyone is interested. :) Just returned !

bump for MarlaB

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,962 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Trip report if anyone is interested. :) Just returned !

bump

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,962 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Trip report if anyone is interested. :) Just returned !

bump

17. Re: Trip report if anyone is interested. :) Just returned !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Carolina Beach
Recent Conversations
More Carolina Beach Topics