We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Carolina Beach... Best places to see or r

Planning a trip to Carolina Beach... Best places to see or r

Hi..... We plan on going to Carolina Beach....We're looking up a lot of places, but still feel lost as to which routes to take and where to stay/what to do. We are coming from Niagara Falls Canada. We like any routes with beautiful views, we also like little towns to visit. Thanks for any comments.....

2 replies to this topic
Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
99 reviews
1. Re: Planning a trip to Carolina Beach... Best places to see or r

So, small towns and beautiful views don't include the metro DC gridlock and the headaches it brings, if we are really being honest.

Try this route instead https://goo.gl/maps/YBnZqEUkzfP2

It will take you through some beautiful areas of northwestern VA and you won't be stuck in the NoVa traffic.

Getting closer to your destination... only an hour from the beach

Consider a stop in Rose Hill NC at the original Duplin Winery. www.duplinwinery.com

Also, consider a day trip to Southport http://southportnc.org/

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
156 reviews
2. Re: Planning a trip to Carolina Beach... Best places to see or r

"Little towns to visit, beautiful views" Sounds like you are not in a big rush to get to the beach. So...best route for you...imo...would be taking I-90 to I-79 to WV, then Rt. 19 thru the New River Gorge area, crossing rhe famed New River Gorge Bridge. Cute town of Fayetteville right there. Stop at the Visitors Center on the north side of the bridge to take a little walk to the overlook. You could stay in Fayetteville, Oak Hill or Beckley, WV. Lots of hotel and restaurants options there. Get on I-77 south,(somewhat scenic especially at the VA/NC border on a clear day) then just over the NC border get on I-74 and head to Winston-Salem, High Point Rt. 311 and head to Rockingham. (don't go to Greensboro/Raleigh). Stay on 220/I-74, then I-74 to Wilmington, to Hwy 421 to Carolina Beach. Going this way you don't have to mess with I-95 and large cities. This is the way we go from WV.

Have a great time in Carolina Beach! Love that place!!

Reply to: Planning a trip to Carolina Beach... Best places to see or r
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Carolina Beach
More Carolina Beach Topics