We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowchain rental

Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Snowchain rental

I'm driving up there in early August. I requested a 4x4 with snow tires from my rental company but was further advised to get snow chains as they would be mandatory. After searching the Internet, I cannot find any info on roadside Snowchain rentals. Can you please share your experience? Experience on rental locations, pricing, and installation. Thank you.

Munich
Level Contributor
8,470 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowchain rental

As far as I know it is not allowed to take snow chains on a rental car.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowchain rental

The cost for chains rent is USD 10 per day, each ,,,,,where do you like to go? best regards ,,,,Arturo

Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowchain rental

I checked with the rental company. They say ok.

Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowchain rental

I'm planning to drive up to Valle nevado or Portillo wherever road condition is better.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,194 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snowchain rental

On the way up to Farellones and the other resorts in that area like Valle Nevado, you will find chain rentals by the side of the road. They put them on for you.

Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snowchain rental

Thank you guys. I got all my question answered.

A friend of mine mentioned that on a sunny day with clear road Snowchains would still be mandatory. However, if you just keep the chains on you vehicle and show to police, Llevo cadena de nieve en mi coche. Is that ok?

Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snowchain rental

I meant to keep the Snowchains in the trunk without put on the tires. Is that what people do on a clear day?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,194 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snowchain rental

It is the police who choose the status of chains or no chains. If they say "uso obligatorio" then you have to put them on. They have a control point on the road to Farellones/Valle Nevado. The road up to Portillo is the international Chile/Argentina crossing point and the police close the road with barriers to check vehicles have chains if required. If they are not required on either of these roads then you can carry some in the trunk in case the weather and status change.

Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snowchain rental

Is there chain rental on the way to Portillo? I really wish to visit the legend for a day or two.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,194 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snowchain rental

I don't know, sorry. As it is the road to an international border there might not be. Perhaps call the hotel and ask?

Get answers to your questions about Valle Nevado