We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days to stay w kids?

Save Topic
How many days to stay w kids?

I am planning a trip and driving up from the south this July or Aug. We will have a 12, almost 9, (and possibly 18yo) with us. I want to make sure we get all of the local waterfalls in. How many days do I need. Our plan is to basically get a place to eat, sleep, and shower… the rest hike and sight see. My spouse and I are experienced hikers, the kids have been 1x before and done well so we can get a lot in (less whining, more moving, if you know what I mean;)

TIA

*Also, is it cheaper to get a rental or try to nab a hotel on the outskirts?

Edited: 05 June 2017, 12:26
7 replies to this topic
new jersey
Level Contributor
11 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days to stay w kids?

We stayed in Elmira at a Hampton inn for 4 nights. we spent a day each sightseeing in Corning, Watkins Glen and Ithaca. One day in Ithaca was not enough. We enjoyed the following the best. Watkins glen, Taughannock, ithaca falls. We also saw hector falls, several falls in montour falls several in downtown Ithaca and Cornell and buttermilk just outside Ithaca All of my reviews were recently posted.

new jersey
Level Contributor
11 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days to stay w kids?

We stayed in Elmira at a Hampton inn for 4 nights. we spent a day each sightseeing in Corning, Watkins Glen and Ithaca. One day in Ithaca was not enough. We enjoyed the following the best. Watkins glen, Taughannock, ithaca falls. We also saw hector falls, several falls in montour falls several in downtown Ithaca and Cornell and buttermilk just outside Ithaca All of my reviews were recently posted.

new jersey
Level Contributor
11 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days to stay w kids?

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,222 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days to stay w kids?

The best hike IMO is the gorge trail at Robert Treman State Park in Ithaca. Great swimming area there too.

Buttermilk Falls State Park is another park you will want to visit in addition to WG and Taughannock.

Hector Falls is roadside falls along busy NY-414 so if you need to prioritize I would put it lower on the list.

NYS charges daily admission to its state parks; if you can manage to visit more than one in a day you only pay once.

I would stay in either Watkins Glen or Ithaca before Elmira as they both have more to offer though Elmira (or neighboring Horseheads) may be cheaper. Getting a rental on or near the lake would be optimal but will probably not be cheap.

Edited: 05 June 2017, 22:29
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days to stay w kids?

Love Watkins Glen.

If you drive from Watkins Glen to Ithaca via route 79, Robert Treman Park is on the way. The hike is longer than Watkins Glen,

Then you will see Buttermilk Falls park across Home Depot which is not a long as Treman park. Taughannock fall is the shortest distance among those 4 falls.

I would stay in Ithaca, more choices of hotels. If you happen to stay in Ithaca on Saturday, visit their farmers' market, a little bit different than traditional market.

Save Reply
6. Re: How many days to stay w kids?

I am coming from the south, and if I take the 30 min longer route, it has me going through Elmira, past Horseheads, Montour Falls, then to WG.

I am trying to Figure out the best place to

1. Stop on the way up

2. Stay that's most convenient

3. Most important/ worthy falls to see so the kids won't kill us.

4. Should I make time for the Finger lakes?

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,222 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days to stay w kids?

Watkins Glen is in the Finger Lakes.

Yes, you should make time and have been givens lots of great ideas.

Ithaca is the most convenient, IMO.

Reply to: How many days to stay w kids?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Watkins Glen