We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gluten free choices

Which Grand Baie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
gluten free choices

can anyone suggest resturants that have gluten free choices on their menues, we are doing self catering but like to eat out mainly in grand baie but other towns too

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,730 posts
1,737 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gluten free choices

I am not aware of gluten free menus, but I understand that SuperU in Grand Baie does sell some gluten free items.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,467 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gluten free choices

Having travelled fairly extensively with friends who are gluten free/coeliac I know how difficult this can be, even worse if you factor in being a vegetarian which I assume you are not.

You might struggle to find gluten free pasta and pizza in restaurants, in fact it's probably impossible but if you speak to the head waiter/management at restaurants before dining they will probably be able to provide something for you and will definitely tell you if meals contain gluten.

Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gluten free choices

many thanks

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
38,521 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gluten free choices

Beni,

I have a problem as I am a veggie with a severe fool allergy and its very difficult when eating out. We tend to eat at home mainly as then I know what I am eating.

Super U does have gluten free items as Preston says, and I am sure other supermarkets like Jumbo, Shoprite and PicknPay do too.

In hotels I used to have a word with the chefs and they were very accomodating, but eating out is mainly a no no for me!

Bronia :)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,521 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gluten free choices

Err ... that should have read food allergy not fool allergy....no I had better not say it............

Bronia :)

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,467 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gluten free choices

Least said soonest mended Bronia.

Hope you have a great holiday

Maz xx

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,521 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gluten free choices

Haha thanks Maz,

You too!

Bronia xxx

Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
169 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gluten free choices

Hello

I also have to avoid gluten and in fact all dairy products - when we stayed at the La Pirogue Hotel they accommodated my diet wonderfully as long as they had a days's notice but staying there for 3 weeks they got to know what I could and could not eat - however we did eat out as well and the hotel were wonderful booking restaurants for us and letting the chefs know what my allergies were and it was wonderful being able to eat out and not get ill.

I can give you a full list of the restaurants we visited that accommodated my food allergies and incidentally if you are vegetarian they would accommdate that as well.

So do not be put off by eating out - just be prepared to give the chef at the restaurant of your choice about your food intolerances etc.

Enjoy your vacation.

Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gluten free choices

many thanks to all, Carolinecolle, thank you so much for the offer of the list of resturants you were able to eat at safely, for me the best thing about holidays is not cooking so I would love to try some you tried, that could cater for gluten free, thanks again , Beni

Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
169 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gluten free choices

Hello you are very welcome indeed - I can list some restaurants in Port Louis and may I ask which part of the island you will be staying so that I may narrow down my list for you - do let me know you will simply love the food in Mauritius that is for sure it is so fresh and tasty etc.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Baie