We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Mauritius

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Air Mauritius

Hi there,

I've booked a trip to mauritius with Virgin Holidays but it turns out that we'll be flying with Air Mauritius. I spoke to Virgin about booking the seats but they say I have to do it on Air Mauritius website. Well, I hope Im not going blind but I cant find that option on their website at all. We're going next monday so I need to do it asap.

Anyone used them recently? I would be really thankfull for some advice.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,011 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Mauritius

That's usual for Virgin to use Air Mauritius, they don't use their own aircraft on this route at this time of year, I'm not sure if they are resuming again in November.

Sorry can't offer advice about choosing seats on MK, we always use Emirates.

I'm sure someone will come on and offer help though.

Mazza :-)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,041 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Mauritius

Jim last time I used them I phoned them to reserve seats.

You should be able to contact them via the contact us link on their website.

Its a while since I flew them but I joined their frequent flyer club, Kestrel, so that might be worth looking at?

Have a good flight and lovely holiday.

Bronia :)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Mauritius

Just a short update.

We never managed to book the seats, but managed to do it at CDG Air Mauritius desk. COming back we spoke to our virgin rep and she booke the seats for us.

We were surprised by the quality of the service, entertainment etc, but felt there was not enough legroom on the flight home (different aircraft to the inbound one). In general we would use them again ;-)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,041 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Mauritius

Jim,

See my other reply to you earlier.

I think that the legroom is the problem here. MK used to pride themselves that they had more legroom than the big guys like BA .Which they did until they introduced the new airbus (quite a while back now) Now they have I think 31" which is the same as BA and other airlines, so they lost that competitive edge? Did they codeshare aircraft with AF so you had a 747 AF on one leg and an MK airbus on the other? That would make sense to me as to the difference in legroom.

Pricewise I am still managing to get cheaper flights with Emirates, so MK are not offering me any inducements to use them.

I priced their flights a few weeks ago and they were coming out more expensive than their major competitors.

Plus I read in he local press here that they have some pretty bad financial problems; exactly how or whether this is true is a moot point.

Glad tou had a a positive experience!

Bronia :)

Edited: 30 November 2011, 22:11
Cambridgeshire,UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Mauritius

Just come back from 2 weeks in the Maritim. Flew direct with MK both ways. Seats initially booked via travel agent but when we checked in at Heathrow we asked for the exit seats and got them, same on return leg. Aircraft was half full for both legs and most of the bulkhead seats were unused. The seats gave us numb bums after a few hours but that's normal for aircraft. Service was very good, food okay for airline food. Would definitely use them again, although Emirates are good, we didn't want to waste half a day in Dubai.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,183 posts
1,819 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Mauritius

Nice to hear positives for Air Mauritius.

For us in the North West, the factors against AM is that there are no direct flights, its code share with Air France with a stopover in Paris and the biggest factor is price, with Emirates being consistently cheaper.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Mauritius

, Yes I know, I am way too late as I was in mauritius when this post opened, however, I am going to tell you all anyway lol, for next year on my favourite airline( air mauritius of course),I e mailed the company and the duty manager gave me a telephone no. to ring , and I then booked the seats we wanted for next year.incidentally, last two years with virgin we could book our seats we wanted even though we flew with mauritius

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,011 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Mauritius

Agree with Preston, the choices for those of us in the North West are limited and I'd rather transit Dubai than LHR.

Good to hear the positives of Air Mauritius though.

Mazza :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Mauritius

i flew air maurituius to melbourne today and we had to walk on the tarmach 300 mts and up 3 flights of stairs to board. the seats are on the small side

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,041 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Mauritius

You don't have to spend half day in Dubai. I just got back and had a 2 hour stopover (usually do a 3) and its not long enough for me as I love the free food and booze in EK's business lounge!

I only had time for one glass of champagne this morning!

Dai, dont say anything! ;)

Bronia

Get answers to your questions about Grand Baie