We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saratoga Springs for one day

Clarenville, NL
Level Contributor
23 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Saratoga Springs for one day

Hi everyone, will be spending a day in Saratoga Springs (our first!) this summer on a summer road-trip. My wife and I have three children (13, 10 and 7) so the race track is out. Can anyone recommend a) anything neat to do with the kids b) a nice walk in town to get a feel for the place and c) a friendly place to eat. Thanks!

We are staying at the Springs Motel.

Ian

Mentioned in this post
The Springs Motel
The Springs Motel
269 Reviews
Saratoga Springs, NY
staten island
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saratoga Springs for one day

FYI , the racetrack is family friendly, plus the museum is across the street. http://www.racingmuseum.org/

We usually walk aimlessly around the town, ride the carousel, see some of the springs. We've also walked around the gardens at Yaddo- http://yaddo.org/yaddo/YGhome.asp

You can download self guided maps from here - saratogaspringsvisitorcenter.com/maps-brochu… Or, visit the visitor center and get maps from there.

Clarenville, NL
Level Contributor
23 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saratoga Springs for one day

Thanks so much for the detailed and kind reply Georgina, I appreciate it. We are staying at the Springs Motel and, in my mind, I was hoping we could arrive for lunch and do some exploring on foot around the town. We made our decision to visit based on how pretty and quaint it is reported to be there!

Mentioned in this post
The Springs Motel
The Springs Motel
269 Reviews
Saratoga Springs, NY
Farmingdale, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saratoga Springs for one day

I couldn't imagine visiting Saratoga in summer and skipping the track. It is the single best way to spend a day... anywhere. Both historic and fun all at the same time. If you are looking for "pretty and quaint" Saratoga has all of that and nowhere can you find more of it than at the race track. You will see children everywhere you look so wouldn't be too concerned about your own kids feeling out of place. We've visited with our own kids (5 of them) many many times. Aside from the track the suggestions Georgia makes above are good ones, along with the Saratoga National Park (battlefield), Saratoga Lake and Lake George about 30 mins north

enjoy...B44

Mentioned in this post
Georgia
Georgia
United States
Shokan, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saratoga Springs for one day

Agree with Barco44 - Saratoga race track is a nice day out, even for the kids. You can sit at a picnic table under the trees, see the horses on their way to and from the track - lots of food vendors and can watch races on TV's suspended from trees. Really a very pleasant day - kids or not.

Clarenville, NL
Level Contributor
23 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saratoga Springs for one day

Being a track rookie, I have no idea what to expect. However, given your (and other's) positive recommendations, it would seem silly for us to miss out. Thanks B!

Ian

staten island
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saratoga Springs for one day

You're welcome Ian. Glad your thinking of going to the track now!

staten island
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saratoga Springs for one day

*you are (that was bugging me)

Westchester County
Level Contributor
652 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saratoga Springs for one day

The track is closed on Tuesdays. Hopefully your one day there doesn't fall on that day. I agree with everyone else. The track is a must with the kids. I think the kids will be bored exploring antique shops and restaurants for the day.

Clarenville, NL
Level Contributor
23 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saratoga Springs for one day

Thanks for the tips everyone. Just checked our travel calendar and, sadly,mew will be there on a Tuesday! That means the track is out. Will check out the mineral springs for sure and do some walking around the town. Does it have a downtown area I wonder?

Ian

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saratoga Springs for one day

elevation-

You received some great advice above.

It's ok to visit on a Tuesday. It's "changeover" day, so there will be some happenings downtown, especially the weeks of July 22nd, August 19th, and August 26th. Check here for events during your visit:

http://www.saratoga.com/events/

www.saratogaspringsvisitorcenter.com/calendar

The downtown area is very walkable. However, I recommend taking the trolley around town to see the north end (Skidmore College, with a visit to the Tang Museum) and the south end (Spa State Park, with a visit to the geysers)

http://www.cdta.org/uploads/Route875.pdf

The auto museum, dance museum, racing museum, military museum, tang museum, Saratoga Springs History Museum and (especially) the Saratoga National Battlefields, are all worth a visit.

HTH.

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Saratoga Springs