We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis in Saratoga - July 6

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis in Saratoga - July 6

Let me first say that I'm surprised at the rates and availability of hotel rooms, even before track season starts, in Saratoga. And we go to NYC on a regular basis, so its tough to shock me.

Anyway, we are headed to dinner with friends on July 6th and after looking for quite a while, the only room I found was a Longfellows, which is great and its a king loft, so that will be fun. But the idea of staying in Saratoga and not driving back to Albany, is exactly that - not driving.

Anyone have any experience, or know someone who has, with taxis in Saratoga particularly from Longfellows to downtown?

Any information and thanks.

Also headed to Maestro's for dinner, should be fun.

Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis in Saratoga - July 6

Oh, I love Maestro's!

We often stay close to Longfellow's, and the taxi's do run (even in the off season) for approximately an $8 fare, depending on the number of passengers. Just FYI the cab drivers have told us that they cannot legally stop on the upper portion of Caroline Street, so it is best to head to Broadway above or Putnam Street below to look for a cab. Usually, the cabs are full by the time they make it to Putnam Street, though. Be careful to choose overnight parking if you will leave your car. The new garage by Division Street allows overnight parking.

Lastly, there will be fireworks that night at Saratoga Lake (very near Longfellow's), just FYI.

Have a great time! We have been feeling the same frustration with hotel prices year round in Saratoga. Thyey are building a new hotel in Congress Plaza, so hopefully that will add a bit of competition to drive down prices.

Edited: 21 June 2013, 14:07
Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis in Saratoga - July 6

JK - Thanks for helping out, great advice and thanks for the heads up about the fireworks.

I haven't been to Maestros so it will be fun. I will check back and let you know how we do.

We are also playing tourist in Albany the weekend before, we had won a free night at a hotel in a silent auction.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Albany
Albany
New York
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis in Saratoga - July 6

I should have also given you a head's up about the Phish concert tonight at SPAC.

I hope it doesn't impact your trip! Have fun!

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis in Saratoga - July 6

Yeah, we figured that out on July 4! We made the mistake of getting off at exit 13 and driving through downtown Saratoga. Big mistake. But other than the fact that there were quite a few tie dyed individuals running around Saratoga, it wasn't a big problem I also don't think that Phish Fans (or is it Phans?) and I run in the same circles.

We had a good time at Maestro's, we ate outside and that gave us plenty of entertainment watching the crowd on the sidewalk.

We walked around after dinner and stopped at Max London's and then finished off the evening at Druther's. Which was perfect on a summer's evening.

During the day we stopped at the Tang and the Racing Museum. The Racing Museum was better than I remembered, but the exhibit on the 150 anniversary of the track left a little to be desired.

As for taxi's, our friends picked us up and dropped us off at Longfellows, which was good. But if I had thought about it I would have stayed in Malta.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis in Saratoga - July 6

Thanks for the report! I love people watching at Maestro's, it's such a great setting. I also love Max London's and Druthers, they both have great food and atmosphere. I am sorry to hear that the 150 anniversary exhibit was disappointing. I haven't made it over there yet this year, and maybe I will skip it altogether. If you are ever in Saratoga on a Friday evening, they have free live music on the roof of the Tang- worth the trip.

Would Malta have been more convenient for taxi's, or just your trip home the next day?

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis in Saratoga - July 6

Our friends live off of the Malta exit. Have good racing season JK and thanks!

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis in Saratoga - July 6

Any time, TPXB!

You, too!

8. Re: Taxis in Saratoga - July 6

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Saratoga Springs