We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip, Kids in Tow

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip, Kids in Tow

Thinking of taking a road trip later this month, possibly starting at Niagara Falls and ending in Saratoga Springs. Two 8 year olds, boy/girl will be along for the ride. They've never seen the falls or upstate NY. We'll have about a week and a half to explore. We are an active family who likes doing outdoorsy things as well as cool museums and off the beaten path activities. Can you recommend a route and itinerary? Suggestions for places to stay along the way would be helpful too. Cabins, resorts, hotels, all fine. Hard for B & B with the kids. Budget wise we'd like to mix it up. Splurge a little for a few days and then throw in a few Hampton Inn type places to even it out. Cabins can be rustic but they must have indoor plumbing and a kitchen. Not into camping for this trip. Thanks in advance for your help!

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip, Kids in Tow

That sounds like a fun trip!

I will warn you that there is not too much to see between Buffalo and here. If you have passports, families tend to stay on th Canadian side of the falls. (cheaper and indoor water parks and great view of the US falls). You should get more up to date info in the Niagara Falls Forum.

Other recommended diversions: Niagara on the Lake, Seabreeze Amusement Park (Rochester), Finger Lake Region and Cooperstown, Thousand Islands Region, and Old Forge.

If it were me, I woul spend 2 nights in Niagara Falls, one night in Old Forge, and the rest of my time in Sarstoga and the Adirondacks. If you haven't discovered letterboxing, it is a great free activity for kids who like the outdoors. We usually lrtterbox when we travel. In Saratoga, I would stay in the Hampton Inn. (great location and hotel). Also, check out the Lake George region. It's about 1/2 hour both of here. HTH.

Edited: 10 August 2011, 14:27
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip, Kids in Tow

That should say "1/2 hour north of here"- sorry!

Naples, New York
Level Contributor
349 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip, Kids in Tow

>>"I will warn you that there is not too much to see between Buffalo and here."<<

LOL! Only the rest of New York State!!!?

These 2 routes could be combined for an interesting trip...

http://www.seawaytrail.com/

http://www.eriecanalway.gov/

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip, Kids in Tow

I should have qualified that:

From I-90 there's not much to see.

I have probably driven this too many times!

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip, Kids in Tow

I also forgot to mention that Devil's Hole is a neat hike on the New York side of the falls. Letchworth State Park (south of Rochester) is also worth a visit. Have fun.

6. Re: Road Trip, Kids in Tow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2011, 20:47
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip, Kids in Tow

If you want many outdoor activities and all you listed then consider taking a scenic route to or from Niagara Falls through the Adirondacks and include Blue Mountain Lake, Tupper Lake, Saranac Lake, Lake Placid, Wilmington, Westport. That would be a route to or from Saratoga Springs. All along you will find many outdoor activities, museums, nature centers, endless hiking trails, fishing, canoeing and more.

8. Re: Road Trip, Kids in Tow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Saratoga Springs